- Formula: C5H12O2
- Molecular weight: 104.1476
- IUPAC Standard InChIKey: ALQSHHUCVQOPAS-UHFFFAOYSA-N
- CAS Registry Number: 111-29-5
- Chemical structure:
This structure is also available as a 2d Mol file or as a computed 3d SD file
- Other names: «alpha»,«omega»-Pentanediol; Pentamethylene glycol; Pentylene glycol; 1,5-Dihydroxypentane; 1,5-Pentamethylene glycol; Pentane-1,5-diol; 1,5-Pentandiol; 1,5-Pentylene glycol; Pentane diol-1,5; NSC 5927
- Permanent link for this species. Use this link for bookmarking this species for future reference.
- Information on this page:
- Other data available:
Data at NIST subscription sites:
NIST subscription sites provide data under the NIST Standard Reference Data Program, but require an annual fee to access. The purpose of the fee is to recover costs associated with the development of data collections included in such sites. Your institution may already be a subscriber. Follow the links above to find out more about the data in these sites and their terms of usage.
Gas phase thermochemistry data
Go To: Top, References, Notes
Data compilation copyright by the U.S. Secretary of Commerce on behalf of the U.S.A. All rights reserved.
Data compiled as indicated in comments:
ALS - Hussein Y. Afeefy, Joel F. Liebman, and Stephen E. Stein
DRB - Donald R. Burgess, Jr.
|fH°gas||-442.0 ± 5.7||kJ/mol||Ccr||Knauth and Sabbah, 1990||see Knauth and Sabbah, 1989; ALS|
|fH°gas||-449. ± 3.||kJ/mol||Ccb||Gardner and Hussain, 1972||ALS|
|fH°gas||-444.5||kJ/mol||N/A||Miller, 1936||Value computed using «DELTA»fHliquid° value of -526.5 kj/mol from Miller, 1936 and «DELTA»vapH° value of 82.0 kj/mol from Gardner and Hussain, 1972.; DRB|
Go To: Top, Gas phase thermochemistry data, Notes
Knauth and Sabbah, 1990
Knauth, P.; Sabbah, R., Energetics of intra- and intermolecular bonds in «omega»-alkanediols (II) Thermochemical study of 1,2-ethanediol, 1,3-propanediol, 1,4-butanediol, and 1,5-pentanediol at 298.15K, Struct. Chem., 1990, 1, 43-46. [all data]
Knauth and Sabbah, 1989
Knauth, P.; Sabbah, R., Combustion calorimetry on milligram samples of liquid substances with a CRMT rocking bomb calorimeter. Application to the study of «omega»-alkanediol at 298.15 K, J. Chem. Thermodyn., 1989, 21, 203-210. [all data]
Gardner and Hussain, 1972
Gardner, P.J.; Hussain, K.S., The standard enthalpies of formation of some aliphatic diols, J. Chem. Thermodyn., 1972, 4, 819-827. [all data]
Miller, P., The free energy of furfural and some of its derivatives, Iowa State Coll. J. Sci., 1936, 10, 91-93. [all data]
Go To: Top, Gas phase thermochemistry data, References
- Symbols used in this document:
fH°gas Enthalpy of formation of gas at standard conditions
- Data from NIST Standard Reference Database 69: NIST Chemistry WebBook
- The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) uses its best efforts to deliver a high quality copy of the Database and to verify that the data contained therein have been selected on the basis of sound scientific judgment. However, NIST makes no warranties to that effect, and NIST shall not be liable for any damage that may result from errors or omissions in the Database.
- Customer support for NIST Standard Reference Data products.