- Formula: C5H8O2
- Molecular weight: 100.1158
- IUPAC Standard InChI:
- Download the identifier in a file.
- IUPAC Standard InChIKey: UIERETOOQGIECD-ONEGZZNKSA-N
- CAS Registry Number: 80-59-1
- Chemical structure:
This structure is also available as a 2d Mol file
- Species with the same structure:
- Other names: 2-Butenoic acid, 2-methyl-, (E)-; Crotonic acid, 2-methyl-, (E)-; (E)-2-Methylcrotonic acid; trans-«alpha»,«beta»-Dimethylacrylic Acid; trans-2-Methyl-2-butenoic acid; trans-2-Methylcrotonic acid; trans-2,3-Dimethylacrylic acid; Cevadic acid; Tiglinic acid; (E)-2,3-Dimethylacrylic acid; Tiglic acid, (E)-; 2-methyl-(E)-2-butenoic acid; (E)-2-Methyl-2-butenoic acid; trans-Crotonic acid, 2-methyl-; 2-Butenoic acid, 2-methyl-, (2E)-; NSC 44235; (E)-2-methylbut-2-enoic acid
- Information on this page:
- Other data available:
Data at NIST subscription sites:
NIST subscription sites provide data under the NIST Standard Reference Data Program, but require an annual fee to access. The purpose of the fee is to recover costs associated with the development of data collections included in such sites. Your institution may already be a subscriber. Follow the links above to find out more about the data in these sites and their terms of usage.
Phase change data
Go To: Top, Mass spectrum (electron ionization), References, Notes
Data compiled as indicated in comments:
BS - Robert L. Brown and Stephen E. Stein
TRC - Thermodynamics Research Center, NIST Boulder Laboratories, Kenneth Kroenlein director
AC - William E. Acree, Jr., James S. Chickos
|Tboil||471.7||K||N/A||Weast and Grasselli, 1989||BS|
|Tfus||336.7||K||N/A||Drake and Spies, 1935||Uncertainty assigned by TRC = 1.5 K; TRC|
|Tc||680.62||K||N/A||D'Souza and Teja, 1987||Uncertainty assigned by TRC = 3. K; Ambrose's procedure; TRC|
|Pc||48.5797||bar||N/A||D'Souza and Teja, 1987||Uncertainty assigned by TRC = 1.00 bar; Ambrose's procedure; TRC|
Enthalpy of vaporization
|vapH (kJ/mol)||Temperature (K)||Method||Reference||Comment|
|61.2||365.||A||Stephenson and Malanowski, 1987||Based on data from 350. - 453. K.; AC|
Antoine Equation Parameters
log10(P) = A − (B / (T + C))
P = vapor pressure (bar)
T = temperature (K)
|325. - 471.7||5.69773||2488.304||-34.886||Stull, 1947||Coefficents calculated by NIST from author's data.|
Mass spectrum (electron ionization)
Go To: Top, Phase change data, References, Notes
Data compiled by: NIST Mass Spectrometry Data Center, William E. Wallace, director
Select a region with data to zoom. Select a region with no data or click the mouse on the plot to revert to the orginal display.
The following components were used in generating the plot:
- jQuery UI
- Plugins for Flot:
Use or mention of technologies or programs in this web site is not intended to imply recommendation or endorsement by the National Institute of Standards and Technology, nor is it intended to imply that these items are necessarily the best available for the purpose.
View image of digitized spectrum (can be printed in landscape orientation).
Download spectrum in JCAMP-DX format.
|Owner||NIST Mass Spectrometry Data Center|
Collection (C) 2014 copyright by the U.S. Secretary of Commerce
on behalf of the United States of America. All rights reserved.
|Origin||NIST Mass Spectrometry Data Center, 1998.|
|NIST MS number||292078|
Go To: Top, Phase change data, Mass spectrum (electron ionization), Notes
Weast and Grasselli, 1989
CRC Handbook of Data on Organic Compounds, 2nd Editon, Weast,R.C and Grasselli, J.G., ed(s)., CRC Press, Inc., Boca Raton, FL, 1989, 1. [all data]
Drake and Spies, 1935
Drake, N.L.; Spies, J.R., Cotton Resin III. The Combined Acids, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1935, 57, 184-7. [all data]
D'Souza and Teja, 1987
D'Souza, R.; Teja, A.S., The prediction of the vapor pressures of carboxylic acids, Chem. Eng. Commun., 1987, 61, 13. [all data]
Stephenson and Malanowski, 1987
Stephenson, Richard M.; Malanowski, Stanislaw, Handbook of the Thermodynamics of Organic Compounds, 1987, https://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-009-3173-2 . [all data]
Stull, Daniel R., Vapor Pressure of Pure Substances. Organic and Inorganic Compounds, Ind. Eng. Chem., 1947, 39, 4, 517-540, https://doi.org/10.1021/ie50448a022 . [all data]
Go To: Top, Phase change data, Mass spectrum (electron ionization), References
- Symbols used in this document:
Pc Critical pressure Tboil Boiling point Tc Critical temperature Tfus Fusion (melting) point vapH Enthalpy of vaporization
- Data from NIST Standard Reference Database 69: NIST Chemistry WebBook
- The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) uses its best efforts to deliver a high quality copy of the Database and to verify that the data contained therein have been selected on the basis of sound scientific judgment. However, NIST makes no warranties to that effect, and NIST shall not be liable for any damage that may result from errors or omissions in the Database.
- Customer support for NIST Standard Reference Data products.