- Formula: N3-
- Molecular weight: 42.0206
- IUPAC Standard InChI:
- Download the identifier in a file.
- IUPAC Standard InChIKey: IVRMZWNICZWHMI-UHFFFAOYSA-N
- CAS Registry Number: 14343-69-2
- Chemical structure:
This structure is also available as a 2d Mol file or as a computed 3d SD file
- Other names: Azide, negative ion; Azide; N3
- Permanent link for this species. Use this link for bookmarking this species for future reference.
- Information on this page:
- Other data available:
- Data at other public NIST sites:
Reaction thermochemistry data
Go To: Top, References, Notes
Data compilation copyright by the U.S. Secretary of Commerce on behalf of the U.S.A. All rights reserved.
Data compiled as indicated in comments:
B - John E. Bartmess
ALS - Hussein Y. Afeefy, Joel F. Liebman, and Stephen E. Stein
Note: Please consider using the reaction search for this species. This page allows searching of all reactions involving this species. A general reaction search form is also available. Future versions of this site may rely on reaction search pages in place of the enumerated reaction displays seen below.
By formula: N3- + H+ = HN3
|rH°||1428.8 ± 3.0||kJ/mol||D-EA||Yang, Kiran, et al., 2004||gas phase; B|
|rH°||1439. ± 13.||kJ/mol||G+TS||Pellerite, Jackson, et al., 1981||gas phase; Acidity near HCO2H; B|
|rH°||1418. ± 21.||kJ/mol||Acid||Franklin, Dibeler, et al., 1958||gas phase; From MeN3 and HN3; B|
|rG°||1403.9 ± 3.4||kJ/mol||H-TS||Yang, Kiran, et al., 2004||gas phase; B|
|rG°||1414. ± 12.||kJ/mol||IMRB||Pellerite, Jackson, et al., 1981||gas phase; Acidity near HCO2H; B|
+ = H2N3O-
By formula: N3- + H2O = H2N3O-
|rH°||46. ± 75.||kJ/mol||N/A||Yang, Kiran, et al., 2004||gas phase; Affinity: EA change (H2O)n-1..N3- ion. Vertical Detachment Energy: 3.25±0.03 eV; B|
By formula: CN4 = N3- + CN-
|rH°||400. ± 8.||kJ/mol||Kin||Okabe and Mele, 1969||gas phase; Photodissociation; ALS|
Go To: Top, Reaction thermochemistry data, Notes
Yang, Kiran, et al., 2004
Yang, X.; Kiran, B.; Wang, X.B.; Wang, L.S.; Mucha, M.; Jungwirth, P., Solvation of the azide anion (N-3(-)) in water clusters and aqueous interfaces: A combined investigation by photoelectron spectroscopy, density functional calculations, and molecular dynamic, J. Phys. Chem. A, 2004, 108, 39, 7820-7826, https://doi.org/10.1021/jp0496396 . [all data]
Pellerite, Jackson, et al., 1981
Pellerite, M.J.; Jackson, R.L.; Brauman, J.I., Proton affinity of the gaseous azide Ion. The N-H bond dissociation enegry in HN3, J. Phys. Chem., 1981, 85, 1624. [all data]
Franklin, Dibeler, et al., 1958
Franklin, J.L.; Dibeler, V.H.; Reese, R.M.; Krauss, M., Ionization and dissociation of hydrazoic acid and methyl azide by electron impact, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1958, 80, 298. [all data]
Okabe and Mele, 1969
Okabe, H.; Mele, A., Photodissociation of NCN3 in the vacuum-ultraviolet production of CN B2«SIGMA» and NCN A3II, J. Chem. Phys., 1969, 51, 2100-2106. [all data]
Go To: Top, Reaction thermochemistry data, References
- Symbols used in this document:
rG° Free energy of reaction at standard conditions rH° Enthalpy of reaction at standard conditions
- Data from NIST Standard Reference Database 69: NIST Chemistry WebBook
- The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) uses its best efforts to deliver a high quality copy of the Database and to verify that the data contained therein have been selected on the basis of sound scientific judgment. However, NIST makes no warranties to that effect, and NIST shall not be liable for any damage that may result from errors or omissions in the Database.
- Customer support for NIST Standard Reference Data products.