- Formula: C4H6
- Molecular weight: 54.0904
- IUPAC Standard InChI:
- Download the identifier in a file.
- IUPAC Standard InChIKey: KAKZBPTYRLMSJV-UHFFFAOYSA-N
- CAS Registry Number: 106-99-0
- Chemical structure:
This structure is also available as a 2d Mol file or as a computed 3d SD file
- Other names: «alpha»,«gamma»-Butadiene; Biethylene; Bivinyl; Buta-1,3-diene; Butadiene; Divinyl; Erythrene; Pyrrolylene; Vinylethylene; CH2=CHCH=CH2; Butadieen; Buta-1,3-dieen; Butadien; Buta-1,3-dien; NCI-C50602
- Permanent link for this species. Use this link for bookmarking this species for future reference.
- Information on this page:
- Other data available:
- Data at other public NIST sites:
Data at NIST subscription sites:
NIST subscription sites provide data under the NIST Standard Reference Data Program, but require an annual fee to access. The purpose of the fee is to recover costs associated with the development of data collections included in such sites. Your institution may already be a subscriber. Follow the links above to find out more about the data in these sites and their terms of usage.
Gas phase thermochemistry data
Go To: Top, References, Notes
Data compilation copyright by the U.S. Secretary of Commerce on behalf of the U.S.A. All rights reserved.
Data compiled as indicated in comments:
ALS - Hussein Y. Afeefy, Joel F. Liebman, and Stephen E. Stein
GT - Glushko Thermocenter, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow
|fH°gas||108.8 ± 0.79||kJ/mol||Cm||Prosen, Maron, et al., 1951||ALS|
|fH°gas||111.9 ± 0.96||kJ/mol||Ccb||Prosen and Rossini, 1945||ALS|
|cH°gas||-2540.4 ± 0.75||kJ/mol||Cm||Prosen, Maron, et al., 1951||Corresponding «DELTA»fHºgas = 108.8 kJ/mol (simple calculation by NIST; no Washburn corrections); ALS|
Constant pressure heat capacity of gas
|Cp,gas (J/mol*K)||Temperature (K)||Reference||Comment|
|35.09||50.||Thermodynamics Research Center, 1997||p=1 bar. Recommended values are in excellent agreement with experiment and other statistically calculated values [ Sverdlov L.M., 1962, Compton D.A.C., 1976]. Discrepancies with earlier calculations [ Aston J.D., 1946] and [ Godnev I., 1947] amount to 4.7 and 2.7 J/mol*K, respectively, in S(T) and 3.6 and 2.4 J/mol*K in Cp(T).; GT|
Go To: Top, Gas phase thermochemistry data, Notes
Prosen, Maron, et al., 1951
Prosen, E.J.; Maron, F.W.; Rossini, F.D., Heats of combustion, formation, and insomerization of ten C4 hydrocarbons, J. Res. NBS, 1951, 46, 106-112. [all data]
Prosen and Rossini, 1945
Prosen, E.J.; Rossini, F.D., Heats of formation and combustion of 1,3-butadiene and styrene, J. Res. NBS, 1945, 34, 59-63. [all data]
Thermodynamics Research Center, 1997
Thermodynamics Research Center, Selected Values of Properties of Chemical Compounds., Thermodynamics Research Center, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas, 1997. [all data]
Sverdlov L.M., 1962
Sverdlov L.M., Calculation of thermodynamic functions of gaseous 1,3-butadiene from spectroscopic data, Zh. Fiz. Khim., 1962, 36, 2765-2767. [all data]
Compton D.A.C., 1976
Compton D.A.C., Conformations of conjugated hydrocarbons. Part 1. A spectroscopic and thermodynamic study of buta-1,3-diene and 2-methylbuta-1,3-diene, J. Chem. Soc. Perkin Trans. 2, 1976, 1666-1671. [all data]
Aston J.D., 1946
Aston J.D., Thermodynamic properties of gaseous 1,3-butadiene and normal butenes above 25 C. Equilibria in the system 1,3-butadiene, n-butenes, and n-butane, J. Chem. Phys., 1946, 14, 67-79. [all data]
Godnev I., 1947
Godnev I., Thermodynamic functions of divinyl and equilibrium constant of formation of divinyl from alcohol, Zh. Fiz. Khim., 1947, 21, 799-809. [all data]
Go To: Top, Gas phase thermochemistry data, References
- Symbols used in this document:
Cp,gas Constant pressure heat capacity of gas cH°gas Enthalpy of combustion of gas at standard conditions fH°gas Enthalpy of formation of gas at standard conditions
- Data from NIST Standard Reference Database 69: NIST Chemistry WebBook
- The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) uses its best efforts to deliver a high quality copy of the Database and to verify that the data contained therein have been selected on the basis of sound scientific judgment. However, NIST makes no warranties to that effect, and NIST shall not be liable for any damage that may result from errors or omissions in the Database.
- Customer support for NIST Standard Reference Data products.