- Formula: C6H6O2
- Molecular weight: 110.1106
- IUPAC Standard InChI:
- Download the identifier in a file.
- IUPAC Standard InChIKey: YCIMNLLNPGFGHC-UHFFFAOYSA-N
- CAS Registry Number: 120-80-9
- Chemical structure:
This structure is also available as a 2d Mol file or as a computed 3d SD file
- Other names: Pyrocatechol; o-Benzenediol; o-Dihydroxybenzene; o-Dioxybenzene; o-Hydroxyphenol; o-Phenylenediol; c.i. Oxidation base 26; c.i. 76500; Catechol; Catechol (phenol); Durafur developer c; Fouramine pch; Fourrine 68; Oxyphenic acid; Pelagol grey c; Phthalhydroquinone; Pyrocatechin; Pyrocatechine; 1,2-Dihydroxybenzene; 2-Hydroxyphenol; o-Hydroquinone; Benzene, o-dihydroxy-; NCI-C55856; o-Diphenol; Katechol; Pyrokatechin; Pyrokatechol; Kachin; 2H-1-Benzopyran-3,5,7-triol, 2-(3,4-dihydroxyphenyl)-3,4-dihydro-,(2R-trans)-; NSC 1573; 1,2-Benzenediol (pyrocatechol); o-catecol
- Permanent link for this species. Use this link for bookmarking this species for future reference.
- Information on this page:
- Other data available:
- Data at other public NIST sites:
Data at NIST subscription sites:
NIST subscription sites provide data under the NIST Standard Reference Data Program, but require an annual fee to access. The purpose of the fee is to recover costs associated with the development of data collections included in such sites. Your institution may already be a subscriber. Follow the links above to find out more about the data in these sites and their terms of usage.
Gas phase thermochemistry data
Go To: Top, References, Notes
Data compilation copyright by the U.S. Secretary of Commerce on behalf of the U.S.A. All rights reserved.
Data compiled as indicated in comments:
ALS - Hussein Y. Afeefy, Joel F. Liebman, and Stephen E. Stein
DRB - Donald R. Burgess, Jr.
GT - Glushko Thermocenter, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow
|fH°gas||-274.8 ± 1.2||kJ/mol||Ccr||Sabbah and Buluku, 1991||«DELTA»Hfusion =15.00±0.34 kJ/mol; ALS|
|fH°gas||-267.5 ± 1.9||kJ/mol||Ccb||Ribeiro Da Silva and Ribeiro Da Silva, 1984||ALS|
|fH°gas||-271.6 ± 2.0||kJ/mol||Ccb||Finch, Gardner, et al., 1983||ALS|
|fH°gas||-262.5||kJ/mol||N/A||Pushin, 1954||Value computed using «DELTA»fHsolid° value of -344.0 kj/mol from Pushin, 1954 and «DELTA»subH° value of 81.5 kj/mol from Sabbah and Buluku, 1991.; DRB|
Constant pressure heat capacity of gas
|Cp,gas (J/mol*K)||Temperature (K)||Reference||Comment|
|34.39||50.||Kudchadker S.A., 1979||GT|
Go To: Top, Gas phase thermochemistry data, Notes
Sabbah and Buluku, 1991
Sabbah, R.; Buluku, E.N.L.E., Thermodynamic study of three isomers of dihydroxybenzene, Can. J. Chem., 1991, 69, 481-488. [all data]
Ribeiro Da Silva and Ribeiro Da Silva, 1984
Ribeiro Da Silva, M.D.M.C.; Ribeiro Da Silva, M.A.V., Enthalpies of combustion of 1,2-dihydroxybenzene and of six alkylsubstituted 1,2-dihydroxybenzenes, J. Chem. Thermodyn., 1984, 16, 1149-1155. [all data]
Finch, Gardner, et al., 1983
Finch, A.; Gardner, P.J.; Wu, D., Studies on nitrophenols. Part IV. The standard enthalpies of combustion and formation of 1,2-dihydroxybenzene, 1,2- and 1,4-nitrophenol, Thermochim. Acta, 1983, 66, 333-342. [all data]
Pushin, N.A., Heats of combustion and heats of formation of isomeric organic compounds, Bull. Soc. Chim. Belgrade, 1954, 19, 531-547. [all data]
Kudchadker S.A., 1979
Kudchadker S.A., Ideal gas thermodynamic properties of benzene diols: pyrocatechol, resorcinol, and hydroquinone, Thermochim. Acta, 1979, 30, 319-326. [all data]
Go To: Top, Gas phase thermochemistry data, References
- Symbols used in this document:
Cp,gas Constant pressure heat capacity of gas fH°gas Enthalpy of formation of gas at standard conditions
- Data from NIST Standard Reference Database 69: NIST Chemistry WebBook
- The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) uses its best efforts to deliver a high quality copy of the Database and to verify that the data contained therein have been selected on the basis of sound scientific judgment. However, NIST makes no warranties to that effect, and NIST shall not be liable for any damage that may result from errors or omissions in the Database.
- Customer support for NIST Standard Reference Data products.