- Formula: C6H6O3
- Molecular weight: 126.1100
- IUPAC Standard InChI:
- Download the identifier in a file.
- IUPAC Standard InChIKey: NOEGNKMFWQHSLB-UHFFFAOYSA-N
- CAS Registry Number: 67-47-0
- Chemical structure:
This structure is also available as a 2d Mol file
- Other names: 2-Furancarboxaldehyde, 5-(hydroxymethyl)-; 2-Furaldehyde, 5-(hydroxymethyl)-; HMF; 5-(Hyddroxymethyl)furfurole; 5-(Hydroxymethyl)-2-formylfuran; 5-(Hydroxymethyl)-2-furaldehyde; 5-(Hydroxymethyl)-2-furancarbonal; 5-(Hydroxymethyl)-2-furfural; 5-(Hydroxymethyl)-2-furfuraldehyde; 5-(Hydroxymethyl)furan-2-aldehyde; 5-Hydroxymethylfuraldehyde; 5-Oxymethylfurfurole; 5-Hydroxymethylfurfuraldehyde; 5-Hydroxymethyl-2-furancarbaldehyde; Hydroxymethylfurfuraldehyde; 5-(Hydroxymethyl)-2-furancarboxaldehyde; 2-Hydroxymethyl-5-furfural; NSC 40738; Hydroxymethylfurfural; Hydroxymethylfurfuralaldehyde; 5-(Hydroxymethyl)furan-2-carbaldehyde; 5-Hydroxymethyl-2-furfural (HMF)
- Permanent link for this species. Use this link for bookmarking this species for future reference.
- Information on this page:
- Other data available:
Phase change data
Go To: Top, References, Notes
Data compilation copyright by the U.S. Secretary of Commerce on behalf of the U.S.A. All rights reserved.
Data compiled as indicated in comments:
BS - Robert L. Brown and Stephen E. Stein
AC - William E. Acree, Jr., James S. Chickos
|vapH°||83.4 ± 0.2||kJ/mol||GS||Verevkin, Emel'yanenko, et al., 2009||Based on data from 314. - 368. K.; AC|
Reduced pressure boiling point
|Tboil (K)||Pressure (bar)||Reference||Comment|
|388.2||0.001||Weast and Grasselli, 1989||BS|
Enthalpy of fusion
|fusH (kJ/mol)||Temperature (K)||Method||Reference||Comment|
|19.8||308.5||DSC||Verevkin, Emel'yanenko, et al., 2009||AC|
Go To: Top, Phase change data, Notes
Verevkin, Emel'yanenko, et al., 2009
Verevkin, Sergey P.; Emel'yanenko, Vladimir N.; Stepurko, Elena N.; Ralys, Richardas V.; Zaitsau, Dmitry H.; Stark, Annegret, Biomass-Derived Platform Chemicals: Thermodynamic Studies on the Conversion of 5-Hydroxymethylfurfural into Bulk Intermediates, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 2009, 48, 22, 10087-10093, https://doi.org/10.1021/ie901012g . [all data]
Weast and Grasselli, 1989
CRC Handbook of Data on Organic Compounds, 2nd Editon, Weast,R.C and Grasselli, J.G., ed(s)., CRC Press, Inc., Boca Raton, FL, 1989, 1. [all data]
Go To: Top, Phase change data, References
- Symbols used in this document:
Tboil Boiling point fusH Enthalpy of fusion vapH° Enthalpy of vaporization at standard conditions
- Data from NIST Standard Reference Database 69: NIST Chemistry WebBook
- The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) uses its best efforts to deliver a high quality copy of the Database and to verify that the data contained therein have been selected on the basis of sound scientific judgment. However, NIST makes no warranties to that effect, and NIST shall not be liable for any damage that may result from errors or omissions in the Database.
- Customer support for NIST Standard Reference Data products.