- Formula: C5H12O
- Molecular weight: 88.1482
- IUPAC Standard InChI:
- Download the identifier in a file.
- IUPAC Standard InChIKey: JYVLIDXNZAXMDK-UHFFFAOYSA-N
- CAS Registry Number: 6032-29-7
- Chemical structure:
This structure is also available as a 2d Mol file or as a computed 3d SD file
- Other names: sec-Amyl alcohol; sec-Pentanol; Methylpropylcarbinol; 1-Methyl-1-butanol; 1-Methylbutanol; 2-Pentyl alcohol; n-C3H7CH(OH)CH3; Pentanol-2; Pentan-2-ol; sec-n-Amyl alcohol; Isoamyl alcohol, secondary; sec-Pentyl alcohol
- Permanent link for this species. Use this link for bookmarking this species for future reference.
- Information on this page:
- Other data available:
- Data at other public NIST sites:
Data at NIST subscription sites:
NIST subscription sites provide data under the NIST Standard Reference Data Program, but require an annual fee to access. The purpose of the fee is to recover costs associated with the development of data collections included in such sites. Your institution may already be a subscriber. Follow the links above to find out more about the data in these sites and their terms of usage.
Condensed phase thermochemistry data
Go To: Top, References, Notes
Data compilation copyright by the U.S. Secretary of Commerce on behalf of the U.S.A. All rights reserved.
Data compiled by: Hussein Y. Afeefy, Joel F. Liebman, and Stephen E. Stein
|fH°liquid||-365.2 ± 1.1||kJ/mol||Ccb||Sachek, Peshchenko, et al., 1974||Heat of combustion not reported|
|fH°liquid||-366.4 ± 1.7||kJ/mol||Eqk||Connett, 1970|
|fH°liquid||-367.1 ± 0.75||kJ/mol||Ccb||Chao and Rossini, 1965||see Rossini, 1934|
|cH°liquid||-3315.4 ± 0.67||kJ/mol||Ccb||Chao and Rossini, 1965||see Rossini, 1934; Corresponding «DELTA»fHºliquid = -367.1 kJ/mol (simple calculation by NIST; no Washburn corrections)|
Go To: Top, Condensed phase thermochemistry data, Notes
Sachek, Peshchenko, et al., 1974
Sachek, A.I.; Peshchenko, A.D.; Andreevskii, D.N., Heats of formation of secondary pentanols and hexanols, Russ. J. Phys. Chem. (Engl. Transl.), 1974, 48, 617. [all data]
Connett, J.E., Chemical equilibria. Part III. Dehydrogenation of pentan-1-ol, pentan-2-ol, and 3-methylbutan-2-ol, J. Chem. Soc. A, 1970, 1284-1286. [all data]
Chao and Rossini, 1965
Chao, J.; Rossini, F.D., Heats of combustion, formation, and isomerization of nineteen alkanols, J. Chem. Eng. Data, 1965, 10, 374-379. [all data]
Rossini, F.D., Heats of combustion and of formation of the normal aliphatic alcohols in the gaseous and liquid states, and the energies of their atomic linkages, J. Res. NBS, 1934, 13, 189-197. [all data]
Go To: Top, Condensed phase thermochemistry data, References
- Symbols used in this document:
cH°liquid Enthalpy of combustion of liquid at standard conditions fH°liquid Enthalpy of formation of liquid at standard conditions
- Data from NIST Standard Reference Database 69: NIST Chemistry WebBook
- The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) uses its best efforts to deliver a high quality copy of the Database and to verify that the data contained therein have been selected on the basis of sound scientific judgment. However, NIST makes no warranties to that effect, and NIST shall not be liable for any damage that may result from errors or omissions in the Database.
- Customer support for NIST Standard Reference Data products.