- Formula: C8H10O
- Molecular weight: 122.1644
- IUPAC Standard InChI:
- Download the identifier in a file.
- IUPAC Standard InChIKey: WAPNOHKVXSQRPX-UHFFFAOYSA-N
- CAS Registry Number: 98-85-1
- Chemical structure:
This structure is also available as a 2d Mol file or as a computed 3d SD file
- Other names: Benzyl alcohol, «alpha»-methyl-; «alpha»-Methylbenzyl alcohol; «alpha»-Phenethyl alcohol; «alpha»-Phenylethanol; «alpha»-Phenylethyl alcohol; (1-Hydroxyethyl)benzene; Ethanol, 1-phenyl-; Methylphenylcarbinol; Phenylmethylcarbinol; Styralyl alcohol; 1-Phenethyl alcohol; 1-Phenyl-1-hydroxyethane; 1-Phenylethanol; 1-Phenylethyl alcohol; sec-Phenethyl alcohol; dl-«alpha»-Methylbenzyl alcohol; Methanol, methylphenyl-; NCI-C55685; 1-Fenylethanol; Fenyl-methylkarbinol; Styrallyl alcohol; UN 2937; «alpha»-Methylbenzenemethanol; «alpha»-Hydroxyethylbenzene; NSC 25502; (S)-«alpha»-Methyl-benzenemethanol; alcohol methyl benzylic
- Permanent link for this species. Use this link for bookmarking this species for future reference.
- Information on this page:
- Other data available:
Data at NIST subscription sites:
NIST subscription sites provide data under the NIST Standard Reference Data Program, but require an annual fee to access. The purpose of the fee is to recover costs associated with the development of data collections included in such sites. Your institution may already be a subscriber. Follow the links above to find out more about the data in these sites and their terms of usage.
Phase change data
Go To: Top, References, Notes
Data compilation copyright by the U.S. Secretary of Commerce on behalf of the U.S.A. All rights reserved.
Data compiled as indicated in comments:
TRC - Thermodynamics Research Center, NIST Boulder Laboratories, Kenneth Kroenlein director
BS - Robert L. Brown and Stephen E. Stein
AC - William E. Acree, Jr., James S. Chickos
|Tboil||475.65||K||N/A||Zeiss and Tsutsui, 1953||Uncertainty assigned by TRC = 2. K; TRC|
|Tboil||492.6||K||N/A||Lecat, 1926||Uncertainty assigned by TRC = 0.5 K; TRC|
|Tfus||288.||K||N/A||Huckel and Wenzke, 1944||Uncertainty assigned by TRC = 2. K; TRC|
|vapH°||75.2||kJ/mol||EB||Chylinski, Fras, et al., 2004||Based on data from 358. - 398. K.; AC|
Reduced pressure boiling point
|Tboil (K)||Pressure (bar)||Reference||Comment|
|477.2||0.993||Weast and Grasselli, 1989||BS|
Go To: Top, Phase change data, Notes
Anonymous, X., Chemicals and Plastics Physical Properties, 1968, Union Carbide Corp., product bulletin, 1968. [all data]
Anonymous, X., Am. Pet. Inst. Res. Proj. 50, 1958, Unpublished, 1958. [all data]
Zeiss and Tsutsui, 1953
Zeiss, H.H.; Tsutsui, M., The Carbon-Oxygen Absorption Band in the Infrared Spectra of Alcohols, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1953, 75, 897. [all data]
Lecat, M., New binary azeotropes: 3rd list, Ann. Soc. Sci. Bruxelles, Ser. B, 1926, 45, 284-94. [all data]
Huckel and Wenzke, 1944
Huckel, W.; Wenzke, U., The Association of Aromatic Alcohols, Z. Phys. Chem. (Leipzig), 1944, 193, 132-61. [all data]
Chylinski, Fras, et al., 2004
Chylinski, Krzysztof; Fras, Zbigniew; Malanowski, Stanislaw K., Vapor-Liquid Equilibrium for Phenol + «alpha»-Methyl Benzyl Alcohol and 2-Ethoxyethanol + n -Butyl Formate «8224», J. Chem. Eng. Data, 2004, 49, 1, 2-6, https://doi.org/10.1021/je025566c . [all data]
Weast and Grasselli, 1989
CRC Handbook of Data on Organic Compounds, 2nd Editon, Weast,R.C and Grasselli, J.G., ed(s)., CRC Press, Inc., Boca Raton, FL, 1989, 1. [all data]
Go To: Top, Phase change data, References
- Symbols used in this document:
Tboil Boiling point Tfus Fusion (melting) point vapH° Enthalpy of vaporization at standard conditions
- Data from NIST Standard Reference Database 69: NIST Chemistry WebBook
- The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) uses its best efforts to deliver a high quality copy of the Database and to verify that the data contained therein have been selected on the basis of sound scientific judgment. However, NIST makes no warranties to that effect, and NIST shall not be liable for any damage that may result from errors or omissions in the Database.
- Customer support for NIST Standard Reference Data products.