NOTICE: Due to scheduled maintenance at our Gaithersburg campus, this site will not be available from 5:00 pm EDT (21:00 UTC) on Friday October 25 until 5:00 pm (21:00 UTC) on Sunday October 27. We apologize for any inconvenience this outage may cause.
- Formula: C5H4O2
- Molecular weight: 96.0841
- IUPAC Standard InChI:
- Download the identifier in a file.
- IUPAC Standard InChIKey: HYBBIBNJHNGZAN-UHFFFAOYSA-N
- CAS Registry Number: 98-01-1
- Chemical structure:
This structure is also available as a 2d Mol file or as a computed 3d SD file
- Species with the same structure:
- Other names: 2-Furancarboxaldehyde; 2-Furaldehyde; «alpha»-Furole; Artificial ant oil; Fural; Furaldehyde; Furale; Furancarbonal; Furfuraldehyde; Furfurole; Furfurylaldehyde; Furole; Pyromucic aldehyde; 2-Formylfuran; 2-Furanaldehyde; 2-Furancarbonal; 2-Furfural; 2-Furfuraldehyde; 2-Furylaldehyde; Furol; 2-Furylmethanal; Artificial oil of ants; Furfurale; Furfurol; NCI-C56177; 2-Furil-metanale; 2-Furankarbaldehyd; Rcra waste number U125; 2-Furylcarboxaldehyde; Qo furfural; Furan-2-aldehyde; Furan-2-carbaldehyde; NSC 8841; 2-furancarboxyaldehyde; furfural (2-furancarboxaldehyde); 2-Furancarboxaldehyde (furfural); furancarboxaldehyde (furfural)
- Information on this page:
- Other data available:
- Data at other public NIST sites:
Data at NIST subscription sites:
NIST subscription sites provide data under the NIST Standard Reference Data Program, but require an annual fee to access. The purpose of the fee is to recover costs associated with the development of data collections included in such sites. Your institution may already be a subscriber. Follow the links above to find out more about the data in these sites and their terms of usage.
Gas phase thermochemistry data
Go To: Top, References, Notes
Data compiled as indicated in comments:
DRB - Donald R. Burgess, Jr.
ALS - Hussein Y. Afeefy, Joel F. Liebman, and Stephen E. Stein
GT - Glushko Thermocenter, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow
|fH°gas||-35.76||kcal/mol||N/A||Avramescu and Isagescu, 1978||Value computed using «DELTA»fHliquid° value of -200.2 kj/mol from Avramescu and Isagescu, 1978 and «DELTA»vapH° value of 50.63±0.42 kj/mol from missing citation.; DRB|
|fH°gas||-36.100||kcal/mol||Cm||Kudchadker and Kudchadker, 1975||ALS|
|fH°gas||-34.49||kcal/mol||N/A||Miller, 1936||Value computed using «DELTA»fHliquid° value of -194.9 kj/mol from Miller, 1936 and «DELTA»vapH° value of 50.63±0.42 kj/mol from missing citation.; DRB|
|fH°gas||-36.19||kcal/mol||N/A||Landrieu, Baylocq, et al., 1929||Value computed using «DELTA»fHliquid° value of -202 kj/mol from Landrieu, Baylocq, et al., 1929 and «DELTA»vapH° value of 50.63±0.42 kj/mol from missing citation.; DRB|
Constant pressure heat capacity of gas
|Cp,gas (cal/mol*K)||Temperature (K)||Reference||Comment|
|11.22||100.||Kudchadker S.A., 1975||GT|
Go To: Top, Gas phase thermochemistry data, Notes
Avramescu and Isagescu, 1978
Avramescu, F.; Isagescu, D.A., Heats of combustion of mono- and difurfurylidene acetone, Rev. Roum. Chim., 1978, 23, 655-659. [all data]
Kudchadker and Kudchadker, 1975
Kudchadker, S.A.; Kudchadker, A.P., Thermodynamic properties of oxygen compounds. III. Benzaldehyde and furfural (2-furaldehyde), Ber. Bunsenges. Phys. Chem., 1975, 12, 432-437. [all data]
Miller, P., The free energy of furfural and some of its derivatives, Iowa State Coll. J. Sci., 1936, 10, 91-93. [all data]
Landrieu, Baylocq, et al., 1929
Landrieu, P.; Baylocq, F.; Johnson, J.R., Etude thermochimique dans la serie furanique, Bull. Soc. Chim. France, 1929, 45, 36-49. [all data]
Kudchadker S.A., 1975
Kudchadker S.A., Thermodynamic properties of oxygen compounds. III. Benzaldehyde and furfural (2-furaldehyde), Thermochim. Acta, 1975, 12, 432-437. [all data]
Go To: Top, Gas phase thermochemistry data, References
- Symbols used in this document:
Cp,gas Constant pressure heat capacity of gas fH°gas Enthalpy of formation of gas at standard conditions
- Data from NIST Standard Reference Database 69: NIST Chemistry WebBook
- The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) uses its best efforts to deliver a high quality copy of the Database and to verify that the data contained therein have been selected on the basis of sound scientific judgment. However, NIST makes no warranties to that effect, and NIST shall not be liable for any damage that may result from errors or omissions in the Database.
- Customer support for NIST Standard Reference Data products.