- Formula: C4H6O2
- Molecular weight: 86.0892
- IUPAC Standard InChI:
- Download the identifier in a file.
- IUPAC Standard InChIKey: YEJRWHAVMIAJKC-UHFFFAOYSA-N
- CAS Registry Number: 96-48-0
- Chemical structure:
This structure is also available as a 2d Mol file or as a computed 3d SD file
- Species with the same structure:
- Other names: 2(3H)-Furanone, dihydro-; «gamma»-Butyrolactone; «gamma»-BL; «gamma»-Hydroxybutyric acid cyclic ester; «gamma»-Hydroxybutyric acid lactone; «gamma»-Hydroxybutyrolactone; Butanoic acid, 4-hydroxy-, «gamma»-lactone; Butyric acid lactone; Butyryl lactone; Dihydro-2(3H)-furanone; Tetrahydro-2-furanone; 1,4-Butanolide; 4-Butanolide; 4-Butyrolactone; 4-Deoxytetronic acid; 4-Hydroxybutanoic acid lactone; 4-Hydroxybutyric acid lactone; 6480; 1,4-Butyrolactone; «gamma»-6480; Butyric acid, 4-hydroxy-, «gamma»-lactone; Butyrylactone; BLO; BLON; Dihydro-2-furanone; NCI-C55878; 1,2-Butanolide; 4-Hydroxybutanoic acid, «gamma»-lactone; 4-Hydroxybutyric acid, «gamma»-lactone; 2-Oxolanone; 1-Oxacyclopentan-2-one; 2-Oxotetrahydrofuran; «gamma»-Butanolactone; «gamma»-Hydrooxybutyric acid lactone; Agrisynth BLO; GBL; Butyric acid, 4-hydroxy-, gamma-lactone; 2(3H)-dihydrofuranone; Dihydro-(3 H)-furan-2-one; Dihydrofuran-2(3H)-one; NSC 4592; dihydro-2(3H)-furanone («gamma»-butyrolactone); Tetrahydrofuran-2-one; Dihydro-2(3H)-furanone (-butyrolactone); Butan-4-olide; 2-Dihydrofuranone
- Information on this page:
- Other data available:
- Data at other public NIST sites:
Data at NIST subscription sites:
NIST subscription sites provide data under the NIST Standard Reference Data Program, but require an annual fee to access. The purpose of the fee is to recover costs associated with the development of data collections included in such sites. Your institution may already be a subscriber. Follow the links above to find out more about the data in these sites and their terms of usage.
Gas phase ion energetics data
Go To: Top, References, Notes
Data compilation copyright by the U.S. Secretary of Commerce on behalf of the U.S.A. All rights reserved.
Data evaluated as indicated in comments:
HL - Edward P. Hunter and Sharon G. Lias
Data compiled as indicated in comments:
LLK - Sharon G. Lias, Rhoda D. Levin, and Sherif A. Kafafi
|Proton affinity (review)||840.0||kJ/mol||N/A||Hunter and Lias, 1998||HL|
|Gas basicity||808.1||kJ/mol||N/A||Hunter and Lias, 1998||HL|
Ionization energy determinations
|10.26||PE||Gerson, Worley, et al., 1978||Vertical value; LLK|
|10.26||PE||Bain and Frost, 1973||Vertical value; LLK|
Go To: Top, Gas phase ion energetics data, Notes
Hunter and Lias, 1998
Hunter, E.P.; Lias, S.G., Evaluated Gas Phase Basicities and Proton Affinities of Molecules: An Update, J. Phys. Chem. Ref. Data, 1998, 27, 3, 413-656, https://doi.org/10.1063/1.556018 . [all data]
Gerson, Worley, et al., 1978
Gerson, S.H.; Worley, S.D.; Bodor, N.; Kaminski, J.J.; Flechtner, T.W., The photoelectron spectra of some heterocyclic compounds which contain N, O, Cl, and Br, J. Electron Spectrosc. Relat. Phenom., 1978, 13, 421. [all data]
Bain and Frost, 1973
Bain, A.D.; Frost, D.C., Studies of the carbonyl group in some five-membered ring compounds by photoelectron spectroscopy, Can. J. Chem., 1973, 51, 1245. [all data]
Go To: Top, Gas phase ion energetics data, References
- Data from NIST Standard Reference Database 69: NIST Chemistry WebBook
- The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) uses its best efforts to deliver a high quality copy of the Database and to verify that the data contained therein have been selected on the basis of sound scientific judgment. However, NIST makes no warranties to that effect, and NIST shall not be liable for any damage that may result from errors or omissions in the Database.
- Customer support for NIST Standard Reference Data products.