- Formula: C8H16
- Molecular weight: 112.2126
- IUPAC Standard InChI:
- Download the identifier in a file.
- IUPAC Standard InChIKey: ILPBINAXDRFYPL-HYXAFXHYSA-N
- CAS Registry Number: 7642-04-8
- Chemical structure:
This structure is also available as a 2d Mol file or as a computed 3d SD file
- Other names: (Z)-2-Octene; cis-2-Octene; 2-Octene, cis-; (Z)-2-C8H16; cis-Octene-2; (2Z)-2-Octene; (Z)-Oct-2-ene
- Permanent link for this species. Use this link for bookmarking this species for future reference.
- Information on this page:
- Other data available:
Data at NIST subscription sites:
NIST subscription sites provide data under the NIST Standard Reference Data Program, but require an annual fee to access. The purpose of the fee is to recover costs associated with the development of data collections included in such sites. Your institution may already be a subscriber. Follow the links above to find out more about the data in these sites and their terms of usage.
Phase change data
Go To: Top, References, Notes
Data compilation copyright by the U.S. Secretary of Commerce on behalf of the U.S.A. All rights reserved.
Data compiled as indicated in comments:
BS - Robert L. Brown and Stephen E. Stein
TRC - Thermodynamics Research Center, NIST Boulder Laboratories, Kenneth Kroenlein director
AC - William E. Acree, Jr., James S. Chickos
|Tboil||398. ± 3.||K||AVG||N/A||Average of 8 values; Individual data points|
|Tfus||171.45||K||N/A||Hoff, Greenlee, et al., 1951||Uncertainty assigned by TRC = 1. K; TRC|
|Tfus||172.19||K||N/A||Hoff, Greenlee, et al., 1951||Uncertainty assigned by TRC = 0.6 K; TRC|
|Tfus||172.88||K||N/A||Hoff, Greenlee, et al., 1951||Uncertainty assigned by TRC = 0.1 K; TRC|
|Tfus||169.15||K||N/A||Campbell and Eby, 1941||Uncertainty assigned by TRC = 1.5 K; TRC|
Enthalpy of vaporization
|vapH (kJ/mol)||Temperature (K)||Method||Reference||Comment|
|37.8||371.||A||Stephenson and Malanowski, 1987||Based on data from 356. - 400. K.; AC|
Go To: Top, Phase change data, Notes
Hoff, Greenlee, et al., 1951
Hoff, M.C.; Greenlee, K.W.; Boord, C.E., The Quantitavitve Inversion of cis- and trans-Alkene Isomers: A New Synthesis of Normal cis-Alkenes, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1951, 73, 3329-36. [all data]
Campbell and Eby, 1941
Campbell, K.N.; Eby, L.T., The Reduction of Multiple Carbon-Carbon Bonds III. Further Studies on the Preparation of Olefins from Acetylenes, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1941, 63, 2683. [all data]
Reid, Robert C., Handbook on vapor pressure and heats of vaporization of hydrocarbons and related compounds, R. C. Wilhort and B. J. Zwolinski, Texas A Research Foundation. College Station, Texas(1971). 329 pages.$10.00, AIChE J., 1972, 18, 6, 1278-1278, https://doi.org/10.1002/aic.690180637 . [all data]
Stephenson and Malanowski, 1987
Stephenson, Richard M.; Malanowski, Stanislaw, Handbook of the Thermodynamics of Organic Compounds, 1987, https://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-009-3173-2 . [all data]
Go To: Top, Phase change data, References
- Symbols used in this document:
Tboil Boiling point Tfus Fusion (melting) point vapH Enthalpy of vaporization vapH° Enthalpy of vaporization at standard conditions
- Data from NIST Standard Reference Database 69: NIST Chemistry WebBook
- The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) uses its best efforts to deliver a high quality copy of the Database and to verify that the data contained therein have been selected on the basis of sound scientific judgment. However, NIST makes no warranties to that effect, and NIST shall not be liable for any damage that may result from errors or omissions in the Database.
- Customer support for NIST Standard Reference Data products.