NOTICE: Due to scheduled maintenance at our Gaithersburg campus, this site will not be available from 5:00 pm EDT (21:00 UTC) on Friday October 25 until 5:00 pm (21:00 UTC) on Sunday October 27. We apologize for any inconvenience this outage may cause.
- Formula: CCl2O
- Molecular weight: 98.916
- IUPAC Standard InChI:
- Download the identifier in a file.
- IUPAC Standard InChIKey: YGYAWVDWMABLBF-UHFFFAOYSA-N
- CAS Registry Number: 75-44-5
- Chemical structure:
This structure is also available as a 2d Mol file or as a computed 3d SD file
- Species with the same structure:
- Other names: Carbonyl dichloride; Carbonic dichloride; Carbon dichloride oxide; Carbon oxychloride; Carbonyl chloride; Chloroformyl chloride; CG; COCl2; Carbone (oxychlorure de); Carbonic chloride; Carbonio (ossicloruro di); Carbonylchlorid; Fosgeen; Fosgen; Fosgene; Koolstofoxychloride; NCI-C60219; Phosgen; Rcra waste number P095; UN 1076; Dichloroformaldehyde
- Information on this page:
- Other data available:
- Data at other public NIST sites:
Data at NIST subscription sites:
NIST subscription sites provide data under the NIST Standard Reference Data Program, but require an annual fee to access. The purpose of the fee is to recover costs associated with the development of data collections included in such sites. Your institution may already be a subscriber. Follow the links above to find out more about the data in these sites and their terms of usage.
Gas phase ion energetics data
Go To: Top, References, Notes
Data compilation copyright by the U.S. Secretary of Commerce on behalf of the U.S.A. All rights reserved.
Data compiled as indicated in comments:
LLK - Sharon G. Lias, Rhoda D. Levin, and Sherif A. Kafafi
RDSH - Henry M. Rosenstock, Keith Draxl, Bruce W. Steiner, and John T. Herron
Ionization energy determinations
|~11.2||PE||Thomas and Thompson, 1972||LLK|
|11.55 ± 0.02||PE||Chadwick, 1972||LLK|
|11.84||PE||Johnson, Powis, et al., 1979||Vertical value; LLK|
Appearance energy determinations
|Ion||AE (eV)||Other Products||Method||Reference||Comment|
|COCl+||11.2 ± 0.2||Cl||PI||Johnson, Powis, et al., 1979||LLK|
|Cl+||16.5 ± 0.2||Cl,CO||PI||Johnson, Powis, et al., 1979||LLK|
Go To: Top, Gas phase ion energetics data, Notes
Thomas and Thompson, 1972
Thomas, R.K.; Thompson, H., Photoelectron spectra of carbonyl halides and related compounds, Proc. R. Soc. London A:, 1972, 327, 13. [all data]
Chadwick, D., Photoelectron spectra of phosgene and thiophosgene, Can. J. Chem., 1972, 50, 737. [all data]
Cermak, V., Penning ionization electron spectroscopy. I. Determination of ionization potentials of polyatomic molecules, Collection Czech. Chem. Commun., 1968, 33, 2739. [all data]
Johnson, Powis, et al., 1979
Johnson, K.M.; Powis, I.; Danby, C.J., The fragmentation of COCl2+ and COF2+ ions studied by the photoelectron-photoion coincidence technique, Int. J. Mass Spectrom. Ion Phys., 1979, 32, 1. [all data]
Go To: Top, Gas phase ion energetics data, References
- Symbols used in this document:
AE Appearance energy
- Data from NIST Standard Reference Database 69: NIST Chemistry WebBook
- The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) uses its best efforts to deliver a high quality copy of the Database and to verify that the data contained therein have been selected on the basis of sound scientific judgment. However, NIST makes no warranties to that effect, and NIST shall not be liable for any damage that may result from errors or omissions in the Database.
- Customer support for NIST Standard Reference Data products.