- Formula: C2H6S
- Molecular weight: 62.134
- IUPAC Standard InChI:
- Download the identifier in a file.
- IUPAC Standard InChIKey: DNJIEGIFACGWOD-UHFFFAOYSA-N
- CAS Registry Number: 75-08-1
- Chemical structure:
This structure is also available as a 2d Mol file or as a computed 3d SD file
- Other names: Ethyl hydrosulfide; Ethyl mercaptan; Ethyl sulfhydrate; Ethyl thioalcohol; Mercaptoethane; Thioethanol; Thioethyl alcohol; 1-Mercaptoethane; C2H5SH; Aethanethiol; Aethylmercaptan; Etantiolo; Ethaanthiol; Ethylmercaptaan; Ethylmerkaptan; Etilmercaptano; LPG ethyl mercaptan 1010; UN 2363; 1-Ethylthiol; NSC 93877
- Permanent link for this species. Use this link for bookmarking this species for future reference.
- Information on this page:
- Other data available:
- Data at other public NIST sites:
Data at NIST subscription sites:
- NIST / TRC Web Thermo Tables, "lite" edition (thermophysical and thermochemical data)
- NIST / TRC Web Thermo Tables, professional edition (thermophysical and thermochemical data)
NIST subscription sites provide data under the NIST Standard Reference Data Program, but require an annual fee to access. The purpose of the fee is to recover costs associated with the development of data collections included in such sites. Your institution may already be a subscriber. Follow the links above to find out more about the data in these sites and their terms of usage.
Reaction thermochemistry data
Go To: Top, References, Notes
Data compilation copyright by the U.S. Secretary of Commerce on behalf of the U.S.A. All rights reserved.
Data compiled as indicated in comments:
B - John E. Bartmess
M - Michael M. Meot-Ner (Mautner) and Sharon G. Lias
ALS - Hussein Y. Afeefy, Joel F. Liebman, and Stephen E. Stein
Note: Please consider using the reaction search for this species. This page allows searching of all reactions involving this species. A general reaction search form is also available. Future versions of this site may rely on reaction search pages in place of the enumerated reaction displays seen below.
C2H5S- + =
By formula: C2H5S- + H+ = C2H6S
|rH°||1488. ± 8.8||kJ/mol||D-EA||Janousek, Reed, et al., 1980||gas phase; B|
|rH°||1486. ± 9.2||kJ/mol||G+TS||Bartmess, Scott, et al., 1979||gas phase; value altered from reference due to change in acidity scale; B|
|rG°||1460. ± 8.4||kJ/mol||IMRE||Bartmess, Scott, et al., 1979||gas phase; value altered from reference due to change in acidity scale; B|
CH6N+ + = (CH6N+ )
By formula: CH6N+ + C2H6S = (CH6N+ C2H6S)
|rH°||61.1||kJ/mol||PHPMS||Meot-Ner (Mautner) and Sieck, 1985||gas phase; M|
|rS°||82.0||J/mol*K||PHPMS||Meot-Ner (Mautner) and Sieck, 1985||gas phase; M|
+ = +
By formula: C4H8OS + H2O = C2H4O2 + C2H6S
|rH°||-4.0 ± 0.3||kJ/mol||Cm||Wadso, 1957||liquid phase; Heat of hydrolysis; ALS|
Go To: Top, Reaction thermochemistry data, Notes
Janousek, Reed, et al., 1980
Janousek, B.K.; Reed, K.J.; Brauman, J.I., Electron photodetachment from mercaptyl anions (RS- electron affinities of mercaptyl radicals and the S-H bond strength in mercaptans), J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1980, 102, 3125. [all data]
Bartmess, Scott, et al., 1979
Bartmess, J.E.; Scott, J.A.; McIver, R.T., Jr., The gas phase acidity scale from methanol to phenol, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1979, 101, 6047. [all data]
Meot-Ner (Mautner) and Sieck, 1985
Meot-Ner (Mautner), M.; Sieck, L.W., The Ionic Hydrogen Bond and Ion Solvation. 4. SH+ O and NH+ S Bonds. Correlations with Proton Affinity. Mutual Effects of Weak and Strong Ligands in Mixed Clusters, J. Phys. Chem., 1985, 89, 24, 5222, https://doi.org/10.1021/j100270a021 . [all data]
Wadso, I., The heats of hydrolysis of some alkyl thiolesters, Acta Chem. Scand., 1957, 11, 1745-1751. [all data]
Go To: Top, Reaction thermochemistry data, References
- Symbols used in this document:
rG° Free energy of reaction at standard conditions rH° Enthalpy of reaction at standard conditions rS° Entropy of reaction at standard conditions
- Data from NIST Standard Reference Database 69: NIST Chemistry WebBook
- The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) uses its best efforts to deliver a high quality copy of the Database and to verify that the data contained therein have been selected on the basis of sound scientific judgment. However, NIST makes no warranties to that effect, and NIST shall not be liable for any damage that may result from errors or omissions in the Database.
- Customer support for NIST Standard Reference Data products.