- Formula: CH3Cl
- Molecular weight: 50.488
- IUPAC Standard InChI:
- Download the identifier in a file.
- IUPAC Standard InChIKey: NEHMKBQYUWJMIP-UHFFFAOYSA-N
- CAS Registry Number: 74-87-3
- Chemical structure:
This structure is also available as a 2d Mol file or as a computed 3d SD file
- Other names: Methane, chloro-; Methyl chloride; Artic; Freon 40; Monochloromethane; CH3Cl; Chloor-methaan; Chlor-methan; Chlorure de methyle; Clorometano; Cloruro di metile; Methylchlorid; Metylu chlorek; R 40; Rcra waste number U045; UN 1063; Refrigerant R40
- Permanent link for this species. Use this link for bookmarking this species for future reference.
- Information on this page:
- Other data available:
- Data at other public NIST sites:
Data at NIST subscription sites:
- NIST / TRC Web Thermo Tables, "lite" edition (thermophysical and thermochemical data)
- NIST / TRC Web Thermo Tables, professional edition (thermophysical and thermochemical data)
NIST subscription sites provide data under the NIST Standard Reference Data Program, but require an annual fee to access. The purpose of the fee is to recover costs associated with the development of data collections included in such sites. Your institution may already be a subscriber. Follow the links above to find out more about the data in these sites and their terms of usage.
Go To: Top, References, Notes
Data compiled by: Thermodynamics Research Center, NIST Boulder Laboratories, Kenneth Kroenlein director
|416.27||Mansoorian, Hall, et al., 1981||Uncertainty assigned by TRC = 0.02 K; VP measured up to 408 K, IPTS-68, PP. Identification of critical point not explained.; TRC|
|416.25||Hsu and McKetta, 1964||Uncertainty assigned by TRC = 0.05 K; TRC|
|416.||Herz, 1916||Uncertainty assigned by TRC = 3. K; TRC|
|416.||Leduc, 1909||Uncertainty assigned by TRC = 3. K; TRC|
|416.2||Centnerszwer, 1904||Uncertainty assigned by TRC = 0.5 K; max. temp. of dissapearance of meniscus for various fillings; TRC|
|414.7||Vincent and Chappuis, 1886||Uncertainty assigned by TRC = 2. K; TRC|
Go To: Top, Critical temperature, Notes
Mansoorian, Hall, et al., 1981
Mansoorian, H.; Hall, K.R.; Holste, J.C.; Eubank, P.T., The density of gaseous ethane and of fluid methyl chloride and the vapor pressure of methyl chloride, J. Chem. Thermodyn., 1981, 13, 1001-24. [all data]
Hsu and McKetta, 1964
Hsu, C.C.; McKetta, J.J., Pressure-Volume-Temperature Properties of Methyl Chloride, J. Chem. Eng. Data, 1964, 9, 1, 45-51, https://doi.org/10.1021/je60020a014 . [all data]
Herz, W., The laws of guldberg and trouton-nernst in homologous series of compounds, Z. Anorg. Allg. Chem., 1916, 95, 253-6. [all data]
Leduc, A., Compressibility of gases between 0 atm and 3 atm and at all temperatures, C. R. Hebd. Seances Acad. Sci., 1909, 148, 407. [all data]
Centnerszwer, M., An Application of the Method of Cailletet and Mathias to Determine Critical Volume., Z. Phys. Chem., Stoechiom. Verwandtschaftsl., 1904, 49, 199. [all data]
Vincent and Chappuis, 1886
Vincent, C.; Chappuis, J., J. Phys. Theor. Appl., 1886, 5, 58. [all data]
Go To: Top, Critical temperature, References
- Symbols used in this document:
Tc Critical temperature
- Data from NIST Standard Reference Database 69: NIST Chemistry WebBook
- The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) uses its best efforts to deliver a high quality copy of the Database and to verify that the data contained therein have been selected on the basis of sound scientific judgment. However, NIST makes no warranties to that effect, and NIST shall not be liable for any damage that may result from errors or omissions in the Database.
- Customer support for NIST Standard Reference Data products.