- Formula: C4H10O
- Molecular weight: 74.1216
- IUPAC Standard InChI:
- Download the identifier in a file.
- IUPAC Standard InChIKey: LRHPLDYGYMQRHN-UHFFFAOYSA-N
- CAS Registry Number: 71-36-3
- Chemical structure:
This structure is also available as a 2d Mol file or as a computed 3d SD file
- Other names: Butyl alcohol; n-Butan-1-ol; n-Butanol; n-Butyl alcohol; Butyl hydroxide; CCS 203; Hemostyp; Methylolpropane; Propylcarbinol; n-C4H9OH; Butanol; Butan-1-ol; 1-Hydroxybutane; Alcool butylique; Butanolo; Butylowy alkohol; Butyric alcohol; Propylmethanol; Butanolen; 1-Butyl alcohol; Rcra waste number U031; Butanol-1; NSC 62782
- Permanent link for this species. Use this link for bookmarking this species for future reference.
- Information on this page:
- Other data available:
- Data at other public NIST sites:
Data at NIST subscription sites:
- NIST / TRC Web Thermo Tables, "lite" edition (thermophysical and thermochemical data)
- NIST / TRC Web Thermo Tables, professional edition (thermophysical and thermochemical data)
NIST subscription sites provide data under the NIST Standard Reference Data Program, but require an annual fee to access. The purpose of the fee is to recover costs associated with the development of data collections included in such sites. Your institution may already be a subscriber. Follow the links above to find out more about the data in these sites and their terms of usage.
Go To: Top, References, Notes
Data compilation copyright by the U.S. Secretary of Commerce on behalf of the U.S.A. All rights reserved.
Data compiled as indicated in comments:
TRC - Thermodynamics Research Center, NIST Boulder Laboratories, Chris Muzny, director
|3.66 ± 0.02||Gude and Teja, 1995|
|3.64||Teja, Lee, et al., 1989||TRC|
|3.66||Efremov, 1966||Uncertainty assigned by TRC = 0.04 mol/l; TRC|
|3.71||Skaates and Kay, 1964||TRC|
|3.641||Ambrose and Townsend, 1963||TRC|
|3.60||Kay and Donham, 1955||TRC|
|3.643||Singh and Shemilt, 1955||Uncertainty assigned by TRC = 0.03 mol/l; TRC|
Go To: Top, Critical density, Notes
Gude and Teja, 1995
Gude, M.; Teja, A.S., Vapor-Liquid Critical Properties of Elements and Compounds. 4. Aliphatic Alkanols, J. Chem. Eng. Data, 1995, 40, 1025-1036. [all data]
Teja, Lee, et al., 1989
Teja, A.S.; Lee, R.J.; Rosenthal, D.J.; Anselme, M.J., Correlation of the Critical Properties of Alkanes and Alkanols in 5th IUPAC Conference on Alkanes and AlkanolsGradisca, 1989. [all data]
Efremov, Yu.V., Density, Surface Tension, Saturated Vapor Pressurs and Critical Parameters of Alcohols, Zh. Fiz. Khim., 1966, 40, 1240. [all data]
Skaates and Kay, 1964
Skaates, J.M.; Kay, W.B., The Phase Relations of Binary Systems that Form Azeotropes: N-Alkyl Alcohol-Benzene Systems: Methanol Through N-Butanol, Chem. Eng. Sci., 1964, 19, 431-44. [all data]
Ambrose and Townsend, 1963
Ambrose, D.; Townsend, R., Thermodynamic Properties of Organic Oxygen Compounds IX. The Critical Properties and Vapor Pressures Above Five Atmospheres of Six Aliphatic Alcohols, J. Chem. Soc., 1963, 54, 3614-25. [all data]
Kay and Donham, 1955
Kay, W.B.; Donham, W.E., Liquid-Vapor Equilibrium in the Isobutyl Alcohol-Butanol, Methanol- Butanol, and Diethyl Ether-Butanol Systems, Chem. Eng. Sci., 1955, 4, 1-16. [all data]
Singh and Shemilt, 1955
Singh, R.; Shemilt, L.W., Critical Constants of n-Butanol, J. Chem. Phys., 1955, 23, 1370-1. [all data]
Go To: Top, Critical density, References
- Symbols used in this document:
c Critical density
- Data from NIST Standard Reference Database 69: NIST Chemistry WebBook
- The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) uses its best efforts to deliver a high quality copy of the Database and to verify that the data contained therein have been selected on the basis of sound scientific judgment. However, NIST makes no warranties to that effect, and NIST shall not be liable for any damage that may result from errors or omissions in the Database.
- Customer support for NIST Standard Reference Data products.