NOTICE: Due to scheduled maintenance at our Gaithersburg campus, this site will not be available from 5:00 pm EDT (21:00 UTC) on Friday October 25 until 5:00 pm (21:00 UTC) on Sunday October 27. We apologize for any inconvenience this outage may cause.
- Formula: C6H10O2
- Molecular weight: 114.1424
- IUPAC Standard InChI:
- Download the identifier in a file.
- IUPAC Standard InChIKey: JBFHTYHTHYHCDJ-UHFFFAOYSA-N
- CAS Registry Number: 695-06-7
- Chemical structure:
This structure is also available as a 2d Mol file
- Other names: «gamma»-Caprolactone; 4-Hexanolide; «gamma»-Ethyl-«gamma»-butyrolactone; «gamma»-Ethylbutyrolactone; «gamma»-Hexalactone; «gamma»-Hexanolactone; Hexanoic acid, 4-hydroxy-, «gamma»-lactone; 4-Hydroxyhexanoic acid lactone; «gamma»-Ethyl-n-butyrolactone; Hexanolide-1,4; Tonkalide; Toukalide; 4-Ethyl-4-butanolide; 5-Ethyltetrahydro-2-furanone; Hexanoic acid, 4-hydroxy-, lactone; Dihydro-5-ethyl-2(3H)-furanone; 4-Ethylbutanolide; 5-Ethyldihydrofuran-2(3H)-one; Hexan-4-olide; 6-Caprolactone; NSC 134769; NSC 24255; 5-Ethyldihydro-2(3H)-furanone; Furan-2-one (3 H) 5-ethyl(dihydro); 2(3H)-Furanone-5-ethyldihydro-5; hexa-4-olide; 4-ethylbutanolide («gamma»-hexalactone); 4,5-Dihydro-5-ethyl-2(3H)furanone
- Permanent link for this species. Use this link for bookmarking this species for future reference.
- Information on this page:
- Other data available:
Data at NIST subscription sites:
NIST subscription sites provide data under the NIST Standard Reference Data Program, but require an annual fee to access. The purpose of the fee is to recover costs associated with the development of data collections included in such sites. Your institution may already be a subscriber. Follow the links above to find out more about the data in these sites and their terms of usage.
Phase change data
Go To: Top, References, Notes
Data compiled as indicated in comments:
BS - Robert L. Brown and Stephen E. Stein
AC - William E. Acree, Jr., James S. Chickos
|Tboil||492.2||K||N/A||Aldrich Chemical Company Inc., 1990||BS|
|vapH°||57.2 ± 0.3||kJ/mol||GS||Emel'yanenko, Kozlova, et al., 2008||Based on data from 283. - 353. K. See also Emel'yanenko, Verevkin, et al., 2009.; AC|
|vapH°||55.3 ± 0.6||kJ/mol||N/A||Covarrubias-Cervantes, Mokbel, et al., 2004||Based on data from 243. - 298. K. See also Emel'yanenko, Kozlova, et al., 2008.; AC|
Go To: Top, Phase change data, Notes
Aldrich Chemical Company Inc., 1990
Aldrich Chemical Company Inc., Catalog Handbook of Fine Chemicals, Aldrich Chemical Company, Inc., Milwaukee WI, 1990, 1. [all data]
Emel'yanenko, Kozlova, et al., 2008
Emel'yanenko, Vladimir N.; Kozlova, Svetlana A.; Verevkin, Sergey P.; Roganov, Gennady N., Vapour pressures and enthalpies of vapourization of a series of the «947»-lactones, The Journal of Chemical Thermodynamics, 2008, 40, 6, 911-916, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jct.2008.02.002 . [all data]
Emel'yanenko, Verevkin, et al., 2009
Emel'yanenko, V.N.; Verevkin, S.P.; Burakova, E.N.; Roganov, G.N.; Georgieva, M.K., The thermodynamic properties of alkylated «947»-lactones, Russ. J. Phys. Chem., 2009, 83, 4, 598-603, https://doi.org/10.1134/S0036024409040141 . [all data]
Covarrubias-Cervantes, Mokbel, et al., 2004
Covarrubias-Cervantes, Marco; Mokbel, Ilham; Champion, Dominique; Jose, Jacques; Voilley, Andrée, Saturated vapour pressure of aroma compounds at various temperatures, Food Chemistry, 2004, 85, 2, 221-229, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2003.07.004 . [all data]
Go To: Top, Phase change data, References
- Symbols used in this document:
Tboil Boiling point vapH° Enthalpy of vaporization at standard conditions
- Data from NIST Standard Reference Database 69: NIST Chemistry WebBook
- The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) uses its best efforts to deliver a high quality copy of the Database and to verify that the data contained therein have been selected on the basis of sound scientific judgment. However, NIST makes no warranties to that effect, and NIST shall not be liable for any damage that may result from errors or omissions in the Database.
- Customer support for NIST Standard Reference Data products.