NOTICE: Due to scheduled maintenance at our Gaithersburg campus, this site will not be available from 5:00 pm EDT (21:00 UTC) on Friday October 25 until 5:00 pm (21:00 UTC) on Sunday October 27. We apologize for any inconvenience this outage may cause.
- Formula: C8H9Cl
- Molecular weight: 140.610
- IUPAC Standard InChI:
- Download the identifier in a file.
- IUPAC Standard InChIKey: GTLWADFFABIGAE-UHFFFAOYSA-N
- CAS Registry Number: 672-65-1
- Chemical structure:
This structure is also available as a 2d Mol file or as a computed 3d SD file
- Other names: «alpha»-Methylbenzyl chloride; «alpha»-Phenethyl chloride; «alpha»-Phenylethyl chloride; («alpha»-Chloroethyl)benzene; (1-Chloroethyl)benzene; 1-Chloro-1-phenylethane; 1-Phenyl-1-chloroethane; 1-Phenylethyl chloride
- Permanent link for this species. Use this link for bookmarking this species for future reference.
- Information on this page:
- Other data available:
- Data at other public NIST sites:
Data at NIST subscription sites:
NIST subscription sites provide data under the NIST Standard Reference Data Program, but require an annual fee to access. The purpose of the fee is to recover costs associated with the development of data collections included in such sites. Your institution may already be a subscriber. Follow the links above to find out more about the data in these sites and their terms of usage.
Phase change data
Go To: Top, References, Notes
Data compilation copyright by the U.S. Secretary of Commerce on behalf of the U.S.A. All rights reserved.
Data compiled as indicated in comments:
BS - Robert L. Brown and Stephen E. Stein
AC - William E. Acree, Jr., James S. Chickos
|vapH°||12.6 ± 0.05||kcal/mol||GS||Krasnykh, Vasiltsova, et al., 2002||Based on data from 281. - 319. K.; AC|
|vapH°||12.5||kcal/mol||CGC||Krasnykh, Vasiltsova, et al., 2002||AC|
Reduced pressure boiling point
|Tboil (K)||Pressure (atm)||Reference||Comment|
|361. - 362.||0.045||Frinton Laboratories Inc., 1986||BS|
Enthalpy of vaporization
|vapH (kcal/mol)||Temperature (K)||Method||Reference||Comment|
|12.3||351.||N/A||Dykyj, Svoboda, et al., 1999||Based on data from 336. - 372. K.; AC|
|11.2||357.||A||Stephenson and Malanowski, 1987||Based on data from 342. - 378. K.; AC|
Go To: Top, Phase change data, Notes
Krasnykh, Vasiltsova, et al., 2002
Krasnykh, Eugen L.; Vasiltsova, Tatiana V.; Verevkin, Sergey P.; Heintz, Andreas, Vapor Pressures and Enthalpies of Vaporization of Benzyl Halides and Benzyl Ethers, J. Chem. Eng. Data, 2002, 47, 6, 1372-1378, https://doi.org/10.1021/je020034h . [all data]
Frinton Laboratories Inc., 1986
Frinton Laboratories Inc., Catalog Number 11, Frinton Laboratories Inc., Vineland, NJ, 1986, 99. [all data]
Dykyj, Svoboda, et al., 1999
Dykyj, J.; Svoboda, J.; Wilhoit, R.C.; Frenkel, M.L.; Hall, K.R., Vapor Pressure of Chemicals: Part A. Vapor Pressure and Antoine Constants for Hydrocarbons and Sulfur, Selenium, Tellurium and Hydrogen Containing Organic Compounds, Springer, Berlin, 1999, 373. [all data]
Stephenson and Malanowski, 1987
Stephenson, Richard M.; Malanowski, Stanislaw, Handbook of the Thermodynamics of Organic Compounds, 1987, https://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-009-3173-2 . [all data]
Go To: Top, Phase change data, References
- Symbols used in this document:
Tboil Boiling point vapH Enthalpy of vaporization vapH° Enthalpy of vaporization at standard conditions
- Data from NIST Standard Reference Database 69: NIST Chemistry WebBook
- The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) uses its best efforts to deliver a high quality copy of the Database and to verify that the data contained therein have been selected on the basis of sound scientific judgment. However, NIST makes no warranties to that effect, and NIST shall not be liable for any damage that may result from errors or omissions in the Database.
- Customer support for NIST Standard Reference Data products.