Acetic acid, methoxy-
- Formula: C3H6O3
- Molecular weight: 90.0779
- IUPAC Standard InChI:
- Download the identifier in a file.
- IUPAC Standard InChIKey: RMIODHQZRUFFFF-UHFFFAOYSA-N
- CAS Registry Number: 625-45-6
- Chemical structure:
This structure is also available as a 2d Mol file or as a computed 3d SD file
- Other names: Methoxyacetic acid; 2-Methoxyacetic acid; CH3OCH2COOH; Methoxyethanoic acid
- Permanent link for this species. Use this link for bookmarking this species for future reference.
- Information on this page:
- Other data available:
- Data at other public NIST sites:
Data at NIST subscription sites:
NIST subscription sites provide data under the NIST Standard Reference Data Program, but require an annual fee to access. The purpose of the fee is to recover costs associated with the development of data collections included in such sites. Your institution may already be a subscriber. Follow the links above to find out more about the data in these sites and their terms of usage.
Reaction thermochemistry data
Go To: Top, References, Notes
Data compilation copyright by the U.S. Secretary of Commerce on behalf of the U.S.A. All rights reserved.
Data compiled as indicated in comments:
B - John E. Bartmess
ALS - Hussein Y. Afeefy, Joel F. Liebman, and Stephen E. Stein
Note: Please consider using the reaction search for this species. This page allows searching of all reactions involving this species. A general reaction search form is also available. Future versions of this site may rely on reaction search pages in place of the enumerated reaction displays seen below.
By formula: C3H5O3- + H+ = C3H6O3
|rH°||1431. ± 8.8||kJ/mol||G+TS||Caldwell, Renneboog, et al., 1989||gas phase; B|
|rH°||1433. ± 8.8||kJ/mol||G+TS||Taft and Topsom, 1987||gas phase; B|
|rG°||1403. ± 8.4||kJ/mol||IMRE||Caldwell, Renneboog, et al., 1989||gas phase; B|
|rG°||1406. ± 8.4||kJ/mol||IMRE||Taft and Topsom, 1987||gas phase; B|
+ = +
By formula: C4H8O3 + H2O = C3H6O3 + CH4O
|rH°||-65.6 ± 5.9||kJ/mol||Eqk||Guthrie and Cullimore, 1980||liquid phase; ALS|
+ 2 = + 2
By formula: C4H6O3 + 2C3H6O3 = C6H10O5 + 2C2H4O2
|rH°||0.0||kJ/mol||Eqk||Utkin, Bogel'fer, et al., 1991||liquid phase; NMR; ALS|
Go To: Top, Reaction thermochemistry data, Notes
Caldwell, Renneboog, et al., 1989
Caldwell, G.; Renneboog, R.; Kebarle, P., Gas Phase Acidities of Aliphatic Carboxylic Acids, Based on Measurements of Proton Transfer Equilibria, Can. J. Chem., 1989, 67, 4, 661, https://doi.org/10.1139/v89-092 . [all data]
Taft and Topsom, 1987
Taft, R.W.; Topsom, R.D., The Nature and Analysis of Substituent Effects, Prog. Phys. Org. Chem., 1987, 16, 1. [all data]
Guthrie and Cullimore, 1980
Guthrie, J.P.; Cullimore, P.A., Effect of the acyl substituent on the equilibrium constant for hydration of esters, Can. J. Chem., 1980, 58, 1281-1294. [all data]
Utkin, Bogel'fer, et al., 1991
Utkin, A.Yu.; Bogel'fer, L.Ya.; Chimishkyan, A.L., Reversible reactions in the acidolysis of methyoxyacetic acid by acetic anhydride, Russ. J. Phys. Chem. (Engl. Transl.), 1991, 65, 1049-1059, In original 1974. [all data]
Go To: Top, Reaction thermochemistry data, References
- Symbols used in this document:
rG° Free energy of reaction at standard conditions rH° Enthalpy of reaction at standard conditions
- Data from NIST Standard Reference Database 69: NIST Chemistry WebBook
- The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) uses its best efforts to deliver a high quality copy of the Database and to verify that the data contained therein have been selected on the basis of sound scientific judgment. However, NIST makes no warranties to that effect, and NIST shall not be liable for any damage that may result from errors or omissions in the Database.
- Customer support for NIST Standard Reference Data products.