- Formula: C8H8Cl2
- Molecular weight: 175.055
- IUPAC Standard InChI:
- Download the identifier in a file.
- IUPAC Standard InChIKey: ZZHIDJWUJRKHGX-UHFFFAOYSA-N
- CAS Registry Number: 623-25-6
- Chemical structure:
This structure is also available as a 2d Mol file or as a computed 3d SD file
- Other names: p-Xylene, «alpha»,«alpha»'-dichloro-; «alpha»,«alpha»'-Dichloro-p-xylene; p-Bis(chloromethyl)benzene; p-Xylene-«alpha»,«alpha»'-dichloride; p-Xylylene chloride; p-Xylylene dichloride; Benzene, p-bis(chloromethyl)-; Dichlorodi-p-xylylene; 1,4-Bis(chloromethyl)benzene; p-Dichloroxylylene; alpha,alpha'-Dichloro-p-xylene; NSC 36976
- Permanent link for this species. Use this link for bookmarking this species for future reference.
- Information on this page:
Data at NIST subscription sites:
NIST subscription sites provide data under the NIST Standard Reference Data Program, but require an annual fee to access. The purpose of the fee is to recover costs associated with the development of data collections included in such sites. Your institution may already be a subscriber. Follow the links above to find out more about the data in these sites and their terms of usage.
Phase change data
Go To: Top, IR Spectrum, Mass spectrum (electron ionization), References, Notes
Data compilation copyright by the U.S. Secretary of Commerce on behalf of the U.S.A. All rights reserved.
Data compiled as indicated in comments:
BS - Robert L. Brown and Stephen E. Stein
TRC - Thermodynamics Research Center, NIST Boulder Laboratories, Chris Muzny, director
AC - William E. Acree, Jr., James S. Chickos
|Tboil||527.2||K||N/A||Aldrich Chemical Company Inc., 1990||BS|
|Tboil||513. - 518.||K||N/A||Buckingham and Donaghy, 1982||BS|
|Tfus||341.4||K||N/A||Dreisbach, 1955||Uncertainty assigned by TRC = 0.02 K; TRC|
|Tfus||373.||K||N/A||Colson, 1887||Uncertainty assigned by TRC = 1. K; TRC|
Reduced pressure boiling point
|Tboil (K)||Pressure (bar)||Reference||Comment|
|408.||0.016||Buckingham and Donaghy, 1982||BS|
Enthalpy of fusion
|fusH (kJ/mol)||Temperature (K)||Reference||Comment|
Go To: Top, Phase change data, Mass spectrum (electron ionization), References, Notes
Data compiled by: Coblentz Society, Inc.
- SOLID (SPLIT MULL, FLUOROLUBE FOR 3800-1330 AND NUJOL FOR 1330-400 CM -1); BECKMAN IR-9 (GRATING); DIGITIZED BY NIST FROM HARD COPY (FROM TWO SEGMENTS); 4 cm-1 resolution
- SOLUTION (SATURATED IN CCl4 FOR 3800-1330 AND SATURATED IN CS2 FOR 1330-400 CM-1); DOW KBr FOREPRISM-GRATING; DIGITIZED BY NIST FROM HARD COPY (FROM TWO SEGMENTS); 4 cm-1 resolution
- SOLUTION (SATURATED IN CCl4 FOR 3800-1333, SATURATED IN CS2 FOR 1333-440 CM-1); Not specified, most likely a prism, grating, or hybrid spectrometer.; DIGITIZED BY NIST FROM HARD COPY (FROM TWO SEGMENTS); 4 cm-1 resolution
Mass spectrum (electron ionization)
Go To: Top, Phase change data, IR Spectrum, References, Notes
Data compiled by: NIST Mass Spectrometry Data Center, William E. Wallace, director
Select a region with data to zoom. Select a region with no data or click the mouse on the plot to revert to the orginal display.
The following components were used in generating the plot:
- jQuery UI
- Plugins for Flot:
Use or mention of technologies or programs in this web site is not intended to imply recommendation or endorsement by the National Institute of Standards and Technology, nor is it intended to imply that these items are necessarily the best available for the purpose.
View image of digitized spectrum (can be printed in landscape orientation).
Download spectrum in JCAMP-DX format.
|Owner||NIST Mass Spectrometry Data Center|
Collection (C) 2014 copyright by the U.S. Secretary of Commerce
on behalf of the United States of America. All rights reserved.
|Origin||Japan AIST/NIMC Database- Spectrum MS-NW-3344|
|NIST MS number||231794|
Go To: Top, Phase change data, IR Spectrum, Mass spectrum (electron ionization), Notes
Aldrich Chemical Company Inc., 1990
Aldrich Chemical Company Inc., Catalog Handbook of Fine Chemicals, Aldrich Chemical Company, Inc., Milwaukee WI, 1990, 1. [all data]
Buckingham and Donaghy, 1982
Buckingham, J.; Donaghy, S.M., Dictionary of Organic Compounds: Fifth Edition, Chapman and Hall, New York, 1982, 1. [all data]
Dreisbach, R.R., Physical Properties of Chemical Compounds, Advances in Chemistry Series No. 15, Am. Chem. Soc.: Washington, D. C., 1955. [all data]
Colson, XX, C. R. Hebd. Seances Acad. Sci., 1887, 104, 428. [all data]
Acree, William E., Thermodynamic properties of organic compounds: enthalpy of fusion and melting point temperature compilation, Thermochimica Acta, 1991, 189, 1, 37-56, https://doi.org/10.1016/0040-6031(91)87098-H . [all data]
Go To: Top, Phase change data, IR Spectrum, Mass spectrum (electron ionization), References
- Symbols used in this document:
Tboil Boiling point Tfus Fusion (melting) point fusH Enthalpy of fusion
- Data from NIST Standard Reference Database 69: NIST Chemistry WebBook
- The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) uses its best efforts to deliver a high quality copy of the Database and to verify that the data contained therein have been selected on the basis of sound scientific judgment. However, NIST makes no warranties to that effect, and NIST shall not be liable for any damage that may result from errors or omissions in the Database.
- Customer support for NIST Standard Reference Data products.