Propanoic acid, 2,2-dimethyl-, methyl ester
- Formula: C6H12O2
- Molecular weight: 116.1583
- IUPAC Standard InChI:
- Download the identifier in a file.
- IUPAC Standard InChIKey: CNMFHDIDIMZHKY-UHFFFAOYSA-N
- CAS Registry Number: 598-98-1
- Chemical structure:
This structure is also available as a 2d Mol file or as a computed 3d SD file
- Other names: Pivalic acid, methyl ester; Methyl pivalate; Methyl trimethylacetate; 2,2-Dimethylpropanoic acid methyl ester; tert-C4H9COOCH3
- Permanent link for this species. Use this link for bookmarking this species for future reference.
- Information on this page:
- Other data available:
- Data at other public NIST sites:
Data at NIST subscription sites:
NIST subscription sites provide data under the NIST Standard Reference Data Program, but require an annual fee to access. The purpose of the fee is to recover costs associated with the development of data collections included in such sites. Your institution may already be a subscriber. Follow the links above to find out more about the data in these sites and their terms of usage.
Phase change data
Go To: Top, References, Notes
Data compiled as indicated in comments:
BS - Robert L. Brown and Stephen E. Stein
TRC - Thermodynamics Research Center, NIST Boulder Laboratories, Chris Muzny, director
AC - William E. Acree, Jr., James S. Chickos
ALS - Hussein Y. Afeefy, Joel F. Liebman, and Stephen E. Stein
DRB - Donald R. Burgess, Jr.
|Tboil||374.2||K||N/A||Weast and Grasselli, 1989||BS|
|Tboil||374. - 376.||K||N/A||Frinton Laboratories Inc., 1986||BS|
|Tboil||375.05||K||N/A||Hancock, Watson, et al., 1954||Uncertainty assigned by TRC = 0.4 K; TRC|
|vapH°||500. ± 2000.||kJ/mol||AVG||N/A||Average of 8 values; Individual data points|
Enthalpy of vaporization
|vapH (kJ/mol)||Temperature (K)||Method||Reference||Comment|
|35.2||319.||BG||Baldt and Hall, 1971||Based on data from 299. - 356. K.; AC|
Go To: Top, Phase change data, Notes
Weast and Grasselli, 1989
CRC Handbook of Data on Organic Compounds, 2nd Editon, Weast,R.C and Grasselli, J.G., ed(s)., CRC Press, Inc., Boca Raton, FL, 1989, 1. [all data]
Frinton Laboratories Inc., 1986
Frinton Laboratories Inc., Catalog Number 11, Frinton Laboratories Inc., Vineland, NJ, 1986, 99. [all data]
Hancock, Watson, et al., 1954
Hancock, C.K.; Watson, G.M.; Gilby, R.F., Heats of Combustion of Five-Carbon Fatty Acids and Their Methyl and Ethyl Esters, J. Phys. Chem., 1954, 58, 127. [all data]
Baldt and Hall, 1971
Baldt, J.H.; Hall, H.K.K., Jr., Thermochemistry of strained-ring bridgehead nitriles and esters, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1971, 93, 140-145. [all data]
Go To: Top, Phase change data, References
- Symbols used in this document:
Tboil Boiling point vapH Enthalpy of vaporization vapH° Enthalpy of vaporization at standard conditions
- Data from NIST Standard Reference Database 69: NIST Chemistry WebBook
- The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) uses its best efforts to deliver a high quality copy of the Database and to verify that the data contained therein have been selected on the basis of sound scientific judgment. However, NIST makes no warranties to that effect, and NIST shall not be liable for any damage that may result from errors or omissions in the Database.
- Customer support for NIST Standard Reference Data products.