- Formula: C2H4S
- Molecular weight: 60.118
- IUPAC Standard InChI:
- Download the identifier in a file.
- IUPAC Standard InChIKey: VOVUARRWDCVURC-UHFFFAOYSA-N
- CAS Registry Number: 420-12-2
- Chemical structure:
This structure is also available as a 2d Mol file or as a computed 3d SD file
- Other names: Ethylene sulfide; Ethylene episulfide; Thiacyclopropane; Thiirene, 2,3-dihydro-; 2,3-Dihydrothiirene; Ethylene episulphide; Ethylene sulphide; NSC 89690; epithioethane
- Permanent link for this species. Use this link for bookmarking this species for future reference.
- Information on this page:
- Other data available:
- Data at other public NIST sites:
Data at NIST subscription sites:
NIST subscription sites provide data under the NIST Standard Reference Data Program, but require an annual fee to access. The purpose of the fee is to recover costs associated with the development of data collections included in such sites. Your institution may already be a subscriber. Follow the links above to find out more about the data in these sites and their terms of usage.
Vibrational and/or electronic energy levels
Go To: Top, References, Notes
Data compilation copyright by the U.S. Secretary of Commerce on behalf of the U.S.A. All rights reserved.
Data compiled by: Marilyn E. Jacox
Additional references: Jacox, 1994, page 256; Krantz and Laureni, 1979; Allen, Bertie, et al., 1986
|T||Tentative assignment or approximate value|
Go To: Top, Vibrational and/or electronic energy levels, Notes
Krantz and Laureni, 1977
Krantz, A.; Laureni, J., A methodology for the preparation and characterization of three-membered, potentially antiaromatic molecules. Preparation of matrix-isolated thiirene and selenirene, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1977, 99, 14, 4842, https://doi.org/10.1021/ja00456a060 . [all data]
Torres, Clement, et al., 1978
Torres, M.; Clement, A.; Bertie, J.E.; Gunning, H.E.; Strausz, O.P., Low-temperature matrix isolation of thiirenes, J. Org. Chem., 1978, 43, 12, 2490, https://doi.org/10.1021/jo00406a045 . [all data]
Torres, Safarik, et al., 1979
Torres, M.; Safarik, I.; Clement, A.; Bertie, J.E.; Strausz, O.P., Nouv. J. Chim., 1979, 3, 365. [all data]
Krantz and Laureni, 1981
Krantz, A.; Laureni, J., Characterization of matrix-isolated antiaromatic three-membered heterocycles. Preparation of the elusive thiirene molecule, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1981, 103, 3, 486, https://doi.org/10.1021/ja00393a002 . [all data]
Laureni, Krantz, et al., 1976
Laureni, J.; Krantz, A.; Hajdu, R.A., Photolysis of isotopically labeled 1,2,3-selenadiazole and 1,2,3-thiadiazole, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1976, 98, 24, 7872, https://doi.org/10.1021/ja00440a095 . [all data]
Hawkins, Almond, et al., 1985
Hawkins, M.; Almond, M.J.; Downs, A.J., Photochemistry of low-temperature matrixes containing carbonyl sulfide: reactions of sulfur atoms with the phosphorus trihalides phosphorus trifluoride (PF3) and phosphorus trichloride (PCl3) and the hydrocarbons methane, ethene, and ethyne, J. Phys. Chem., 1985, 89, 15, 3326, https://doi.org/10.1021/j100261a034 . [all data]
Jacox, M.E., Vibrational and electronic energy levels of polyatomic transient molecules, American Chemical Society, Washington, DC, 1994, 464. [all data]
Krantz and Laureni, 1979
Krantz, A.; Laureni, J., The spectrum of matrix-isolated thiirene and characterization of new matrix-isolated species. Comment, J. Org. Chem., 1979, 44, 15, 2730, https://doi.org/10.1021/jo01329a028 . [all data]
Allen, Bertie, et al., 1986
Allen, W.D.; Bertie, J.E.; Falk, M.V.; Hess, B.A., Jr.; Mast, G.B.; Othen, D.A.; Schaad, L.J.; Schaefer, H.F., III, The experimental vibrational spectra, vibrational assignment, and normal coordinate analysis of thiirane-h4 and -d4 and cis- and trans-1,2-dideuteriothiirane: Ab initio theoretical IR spectra of thiirane, thiirene, and isotopically substituted derivatives, J. Chem. Phys., 1986, 84, 8, 4211, https://doi.org/10.1063/1.450043 . [all data]
Go To: Top, Vibrational and/or electronic energy levels, References
- Data from NIST Standard Reference Database 69: NIST Chemistry WebBook
- The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) uses its best efforts to deliver a high quality copy of the Database and to verify that the data contained therein have been selected on the basis of sound scientific judgment. However, NIST makes no warranties to that effect, and NIST shall not be liable for any damage that may result from errors or omissions in the Database.
- Customer support for NIST Standard Reference Data products.