- Formula: C8H7N
- Molecular weight: 117.1479
- IUPAC Standard InChI:
- Download the identifier in a file.
- IUPAC Standard InChIKey: SUSQOBVLVYHIEX-UHFFFAOYSA-N
- CAS Registry Number: 140-29-4
- Chemical structure:
This structure is also available as a 2d Mol file or as a computed 3d SD file
- Other names: Benzyl cyanide; Benzeneacetonitrile; Acetonitrile, phenyl-; «alpha»-Cyanotoluene; «alpha»-Tolunitrile; «omega»-Cyanotoluene; Phenylacetonitrile; 2-Phenylacetonitrile; Toluene, «alpha»-cyano-; USAF KF-21; (Cyanomethyl)benzene; Phenyl acetyl nitrile; UN 2470; Phenacetonitrile; 2-Phenylethanenitrile; NSC 118418
- Permanent link for this species. Use this link for bookmarking this species for future reference.
- Information on this page:
- Other data available:
- Data at other public NIST sites:
Data at NIST subscription sites:
NIST subscription sites provide data under the NIST Standard Reference Data Program, but require an annual fee to access. The purpose of the fee is to recover costs associated with the development of data collections included in such sites. Your institution may already be a subscriber. Follow the links above to find out more about the data in these sites and their terms of usage.
Normal boiling point
Go To: Top, References, Notes
Data compilation copyright by the U.S. Secretary of Commerce on behalf of the U.S.A. All rights reserved.
Data compiled as indicated in comments:
BS - Robert L. Brown and Stephen E. Stein
TRC - Thermodynamics Research Center, NIST Boulder Laboratories, Chris Muzny, director
|506.7||Weast and Grasselli, 1989||BS|
|505.6||Wright, 1961||Uncertainty assigned by TRC = 0.6 K; TRC|
|506.||Wright, 1960||Uncertainty assigned by TRC = 0.5 K; TRC|
|506.67||Gjaldbaek and Andersen, 1954||Uncertainty assigned by TRC = 0.3 K; TRC|
|506.65||Grimm and Patrick, 1923||Uncertainty assigned by TRC = 0.5 K; TRC|
|501.2||Falk, 1909||Uncertainty assigned by TRC = 3. K; TRC|
|506.65||Perkin, 1896||Uncertainty assigned by TRC = 1. K; TRC|
Go To: Top, Normal boiling point, Notes
Weast and Grasselli, 1989
CRC Handbook of Data on Organic Compounds, 2nd Editon, Weast,R.C and Grasselli, J.G., ed(s)., CRC Press, Inc., Boca Raton, FL, 1989, 1. [all data]
Wright, F.J., Influence of temperature on viscosity of nonassociated liquids, J. Chem. Eng. Data, 1961, 6, 454. [all data]
Wright, F.J., Latent Heat of Vaporization and Composition, Recl. Trav. Chim. Pays-Bas, 1960, 79, 784-9. [all data]
Gjaldbaek and Andersen, 1954
Gjaldbaek, J. Chr.; Andersen, E.K., The Solubility of Carbon Dioxide, Oxygen, Carbon Monoxide and Nitrogen in Polar Solvents, Acta Chem. Scand., 1954, 8, 1398. [all data]
Grimm and Patrick, 1923
Grimm, F.V.; Patrick, W.A., The Dielectric Constastants of Organic Liquids at the Boilin Point, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1923, 45, 2794. [all data]
Falk, K.G., The Change in Refractive Index with Temperature II., J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1909, 31, 806-20. [all data]
Perkin, W.H., LXIX. On Magnetic Rotatory Power, especially of Aromatic Compounds, J. Chem. Soc., 1896, 69, 1025-1257. [all data]
Go To: Top, Normal boiling point, References
- Symbols used in this document:
Tboil Boiling point
- Data from NIST Standard Reference Database 69: NIST Chemistry WebBook
- The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) uses its best efforts to deliver a high quality copy of the Database and to verify that the data contained therein have been selected on the basis of sound scientific judgment. However, NIST makes no warranties to that effect, and NIST shall not be liable for any damage that may result from errors or omissions in the Database.
- Customer support for NIST Standard Reference Data products.