- Formula: C8H18S
- Molecular weight: 146.294
- IUPAC Standard InChI:
- Download the identifier in a file.
- IUPAC Standard InChIKey: LNMBCRKRCIMQLW-UHFFFAOYSA-N
- CAS Registry Number: 107-47-1
- Chemical structure:
This structure is also available as a 2d Mol file or as a computed 3d SD file
- Other names: Propane, 2,2'-thiobis[2-methyl-; tert-Butyl sulfide; 2,2,4,4-Tetramethyl-3-thiapentane; 2,2'-Thiobis(2-methyl-propane); Di-tert-butyl sulphide; (tert-C4H9)2S; t-Butyl sulfide; 2-(tert-Butylsulfanyl)-2-methylpropane; NSC 4549
- Permanent link for this species. Use this link for bookmarking this species for future reference.
- Information on this page:
- Other data available:
- Data at other public NIST sites:
Data at NIST subscription sites:
NIST subscription sites provide data under the NIST Standard Reference Data Program, but require an annual fee to access. The purpose of the fee is to recover costs associated with the development of data collections included in such sites. Your institution may already be a subscriber. Follow the links above to find out more about the data in these sites and their terms of usage.
Phase change data
Go To: Top, References, Notes
Data compiled as indicated in comments:
BS - Robert L. Brown and Stephen E. Stein
ALS - Hussein Y. Afeefy, Joel F. Liebman, and Stephen E. Stein
DRB - Donald R. Burgess, Jr.
|Tboil||422.2||K||N/A||Weast and Grasselli, 1989||BS|
|Tboil||422.2||K||N/A||Majer and Svoboda, 1985|
|vapH°||43.79||kJ/mol||N/A||Majer and Svoboda, 1985|
|vapH°||43.8 ± 0.2||kJ/mol||V||Good, 1972||ALS|
|vapH°||45.61 ± 0.92||kJ/mol||V||Mackle and Mayrick, 1962||Reanalyzed by Cox and Pilcher, 1970, Original value = 45. ± 1. kJ/mol; ALS|
|vapH°||45.7||kJ/mol||N/A||Mackle and Mayrick, 1962||DRB|
Enthalpy of vaporization
|vapH (kJ/mol)||Temperature (K)||Reference|
|33.26||422.2||Majer and Svoboda, 1985|
Go To: Top, Phase change data, Notes
Weast and Grasselli, 1989
CRC Handbook of Data on Organic Compounds, 2nd Editon, Weast,R.C and Grasselli, J.G., ed(s)., CRC Press, Inc., Boca Raton, FL, 1989, 1. [all data]
Majer and Svoboda, 1985
Majer, V.; Svoboda, V., Enthalpies of Vaporization of Organic Compounds: A Critical Review and Data Compilation, Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford, 1985, 300. [all data]
Good, W.D., Enthalpies of combustion of 18 organic sulfur compounds related to petroleum, J. Chem. Eng. Data, 1972, 17, 158-162. [all data]
Mackle and Mayrick, 1962
Mackle, H.; Mayrick, R.G., Studies in the thermochemistry of organic sulphides. Part 2. The gas-phase heats of formation of ten aliphatic sulphides, Trans. Faraday Soc., 1962, 58, 230-237. [all data]
Cox and Pilcher, 1970
Cox, J.D.; Pilcher, G., Thermochemistry of Organic and Organometallic Compounds, Academic Press, New York, 1970, 1-636. [all data]
Go To: Top, Phase change data, References
- Symbols used in this document:
Tboil Boiling point vapH Enthalpy of vaporization vapH° Enthalpy of vaporization at standard conditions
- Data from NIST Standard Reference Database 69: NIST Chemistry WebBook
- The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) uses its best efforts to deliver a high quality copy of the Database and to verify that the data contained therein have been selected on the basis of sound scientific judgment. However, NIST makes no warranties to that effect, and NIST shall not be liable for any damage that may result from errors or omissions in the Database.
- Customer support for NIST Standard Reference Data products.