- Formula: C7H8O
- Molecular weight: 108.1378
- IUPAC Standard InChI:
- Download the identifier in a file.
- IUPAC Standard InChIKey: RDOXTESZEPMUJZ-UHFFFAOYSA-N
- CAS Registry Number: 100-66-3
- Chemical structure:
This structure is also available as a 2d Mol file or as a computed 3d SD file
- Other names: Benzene, methoxy-; Anizol; Methoxybenzene; Methyl phenyl ether; Phenyl methyl ether; Ether, methyl phenyl-; UN 2222; Phenoxymethane; Anisol; NSC 7920
- Permanent link for this species. Use this link for bookmarking this species for future reference.
- Information on this page:
- Other data available:
- Data at other public NIST sites:
Data at NIST subscription sites:
NIST subscription sites provide data under the NIST Standard Reference Data Program, but require an annual fee to access. The purpose of the fee is to recover costs associated with the development of data collections included in such sites. Your institution may already be a subscriber. Follow the links above to find out more about the data in these sites and their terms of usage.
Gas phase thermochemistry data
Go To: Top, References, Notes
Data compilation copyright by the U.S. Secretary of Commerce on behalf of the U.S.A. All rights reserved.
Data compiled as indicated in comments:
ALS - Hussein Y. Afeefy, Joel F. Liebman, and Stephen E. Stein
DRB - Donald R. Burgess, Jr.
GT - Glushko Thermocenter, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow
|fH°gas||-67.9 ± 1.2||kJ/mol||Ccb||Fenwick, Harrop, et al., 1975||Author was aware that data differs from previously reported values; ALS|
|fH°gas||-76.69 ± 0.92||kJ/mol||Ccb||Lebedeva and Katin, 1972||Reanalyzed by Pedley, Naylor, et al., 1986, Original value = -82. ± 1. kJ/mol; ALS|
|fH°gas||-70.7||kJ/mol||Ccb||Gray and Williams, 1959||Private communication; ALS|
|fH°gas||-75.1||kJ/mol||N/A||Badoche, 1941||Value computed using «DELTA»fHliquid° value of -118.4 kj/mol from Badoche, 1941 and «DELTA»vapH° value of 43.3 kj/mol from Lebedeva and Katin, 1972.; DRB|
Constant pressure heat capacity of gas
|Cp,gas (J/mol*K)||Temperature (K)||Reference||Comment|
|162.46||388.15||Hales J.L., 1967||GT|
Go To: Top, Gas phase thermochemistry data, Notes
Fenwick, Harrop, et al., 1975
Fenwick, J.O.; Harrop, D.; Head, A.J., Thermodynamic properties of organic oxygen compounds. 41. Enthalpies of formation of eight ethers, J. Chem. Thermodyn., 1975, 7, 943-954. [all data]
Lebedeva and Katin, 1972
Lebedeva, N.D.; Katin, Yu.A., Heats of combustion of certain monosubstituted benzenes, Russ. J. Phys. Chem. (Engl. Transl.), 1972, 46, 1088. [all data]
Pedley, Naylor, et al., 1986
Pedley, J.B.; Naylor, R.D.; Kirby, S.P., Thermochemical Data of Organic Compounds, Chapman and Hall, New York, 1986, 1-792. [all data]
Gray and Williams, 1959
Gray, P.; Williams, A., Chemistry of free radicals containing oxygen. Part 3.- Thermochemistry and reactivity of the higher alkoxyl radicals RO·, Trans. Faraday Soc., 1959, 55, 760-777. [all data]
Badoche, M., No 19. - Chaleurs de combustion du phenol, du-m-cresol et del leurs ethers; par M. Marius BADOCHE., Bull. Soc. Chim. Fr., 1941, 8, 212-220. [all data]
Hales J.L., 1967
Hales J.L., Thermodynamic properties of organic oxygen compounds. Part 18. Vapor heat capacities and heats of vaporization of ethyl ketone, ethyl propyl ketone, methyl isopropyl ketone, and methyl phenyl ether, Trans. Faraday Soc., 1967, 63, 1876-1879. [all data]
Go To: Top, Gas phase thermochemistry data, References
- Symbols used in this document:
Cp,gas Constant pressure heat capacity of gas fH°gas Enthalpy of formation of gas at standard conditions
- Data from NIST Standard Reference Database 69: NIST Chemistry WebBook
- The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) uses its best efforts to deliver a high quality copy of the Database and to verify that the data contained therein have been selected on the basis of sound scientific judgment. However, NIST makes no warranties to that effect, and NIST shall not be liable for any damage that may result from errors or omissions in the Database.
- Customer support for NIST Standard Reference Data products.