Search for Species Data by
Please follow the steps below to
conduct your search (Help):
Rules for names and patterns
- You may enter the full name or a pattern.
- Information on patterns is provided in the section below.
- Searches are not case sensitive.
- Blank space is ignored in search strings.
- Warning: The database currently used for
name searches contains only a subset of commonly used
names. If a search fails, you may be able to find the
desired compound through a formula search.
Rules for patterns
- Patterns are strings containing one or more asterisk (*) characters.
- Asterisks will match zero or more unspecified characters.
- Examples of patterns:
names that end in “heptanone”.|
|*heptanoic acid*||Species with names that
contain “heptanoic acid” anywhere in their
|heptanoic acid*||Species with
names that start with “heptanoic acid”.|
- Warning: When using pattens it is
important to remember that the database for name searches
is incomplete. Pattern searches may miss species in the
database because the name required to match the search
may not be included in the list of names for the species.
© 2016 by the U.S. Secretary of Commerce
on behalf of the United States of America. All rights reserved.
Copyright for NIST Standard Reference Data is governed by
Standard Reference Data Act.
If you have comments or questions about this site, please